Why would you out another photographer?

I found a simple solution. Just stop post here. :mrgreen:

Yemme: The fighting thread that was the last straw in the Camels' back was http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...weddings-geeze-everyone-can-photographer.html

Love & Bass

That thread did take a pretty nasty turn for the worse, didn't it? Blarg; sorry if I'm contributing to that "new guy PITA" effect. >.<

But come on. We all suck, obviously. Screw the Nikon/Canon debate; that's just wasted hot air. You can't take a good image without a camera from these guys. </lame joke>

Where are these fighting threads? I only go in about 3 sections so not sure where they would be... Dish the info...

mostly weddings and some portrait work based threads I notice - but mostly weddings.
Nature, landscape, etc... these sections seem to avoid pretty much all of the fights, but as soon as weddings are mentioned out come the claws. Portraits can also generate similar responces.

Heck its generally any situation where the op displays in interest in financial gain from their photography whilst not being a master photographer.

The argument is that many use is that its better long term to turn these poorer photographers away from such work as it lowers the quality of all photographers and such, but that is a load of rubbish. If the forum mistreats someone guess what = they leave bitter against the membership here and generally will ignor most/all the advice given and go somewhere else. Its not about pandering to them nor about sugar coating, its about people being able to convey their thoughts and opinions without insulting the other party = sadly many people suffer from this (even one or two rather experienced photographers who really are worth listening to can have problems conveying their thoughts.)

anyone think that wedding threads should be banned like nikon vs canon ones? I don't think we want that to happen, but based on what tends to happen in such threads and the fact that many people seem unable to correct their ways it might be the least painfull course of action.

I have to admit, i thought twice before i joined here after i saw some threads, but the majority seemed fine! I go on 2 small nature forums, 2 large fishkeeping forums, and 2 small fishkeeping forums (yeh i am a bit of a forum nut) and the nature ones are usually fine, there is one grumpy person on one of them, which some times cause problems, but on the large fishkeeping forums, there is some times lots of debates on tank sizes care etc, us fish keepers get quite nasty if we see a fish being mistreated! me included! It cus were passionate, whether these feuds are because of passion or just immaturity, i dont know, but eh it keeps us on our toes! :D

Publicly in forums. I have seen enough threads were this goes down. So ask you why? Did someone make you upset? Did your feelings get hurt? Do you actually think you are better then someone else? Do you think this bashing adds to the validity of the thread?

Where I come from you never put down anyone. NEVER. I have been in photography my whole life. Photographers never publicly out other photographers. Now I am sure that I am slightly guilty of this crime. Trying hard not to be such a wisenheimer...

Personally I feel the maturity level of TPF has been on a steady decline. I have been a member here for years and I refuse to let this place go to the dogs. Shape up or ship out people.

Not a whole lot of Love and Bass at this moment in time.

Craig, I've met you in person and know you to be a real and tangible person, probably posessing a soul. Although I do not always agree with you, I read your posts, consider about what they say, and have actually changed my way of thinking on some subjects as a result. You are an asset to TPF.

The 'straw thread' is a prime example of why I feel my role here is, for the most part, over (as well as the stupid-ass 'thank you' psuedo-rating system). How would reading that kind of unmitigated crap supposed to help me improve as a photographer?--Only in the way that it tells me it is time to move on.

You and a few others still make it worth checking in once and awhile. But TPF makes me feel dead inside any more--There's damn little passion. It's more about sleezy trailer park politics, and making oneself look good by making others look bad. Most everyone here thinks they know what a 'bad' photographer is, what a 'good' photographer is, and yet, very few seem to be actually working to improve themselves and provide by example.

Truly, best of luck to you sir.

I found a simple solution. Just stop post here. :mrgreen:

:thumbup:

anyone think that wedding threads should be banned like nikon vs canon ones? I don't think we want that to happen, but based on what tends to happen in such threads and the fact that many people seem unable to correct their ways it might be the least painfull course of action.
You just say that because you suck at wedding photography.

Hehe, just kidding. I'm bored on a Sunday morning.

Yemme: The fighting thread that was the last straw in the Camels' back was http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...weddings-geeze-everyone-can-photographer.html

Love & Bass

I'd not actually read that thread until seeing this particular discussion. It did appear to have gone a little wonky a few posts back, but seems to have stabilised for the moment. I'm not immediately inclined to lock it, despite at least one member having reported it as a problem. It's a topic that's always likely to be on the provocative side, but there's no reason why the debate shouldn't continue so long as it can remain reasonably civil. :hugs:

Remember, opinions are like *rs*h*l*s, everybody has one and they all stink... :sexywink:

Last edited:

Love & Bass

I'd not actually read that thread until seeing this particular discussion. It did appear to have gone a little wonky a few posts back, but seems to have stabilised for the moment. I'm not immediately inclined to lock it, despite at least one member having reported it as a problem. It's a topic that's always likely to be on the provocative side, but there's no reason why the debate shouldn't continue so long as it can remain reasonably civil. :hugs:

Remember, opinions are like *rs*h*l*s, everybody has one and they all stink... :sexywink:

Is that how we get away with saying words like B*LL*CKS??? :lol:

Simple. This forum is full of know-it-alls. And the know-it-alls themselves don't get called out (generally) on their faulty know-it-all behavior, and thus they spread the tain of their know-it-all'ness to others, and it grows exponentially until you create a climate of Know-It-All fever.

Well, when an outsider strolls into the forums, and asks a question not in line with the know-it-all's world view, the shiznit hits the fan as the (by then) hordes descend upon the unsuspecting, beating the New Guy into submission with sheer numbers, because no know-it-all could actually accomplish their means on their own.

The problem is egos you see. Everyone has one but the ones that get over inflated (usually by an MFI [major flatulence inversion]) are the fragile ones due to their stretched condition.

It seems that the only way to correct the inversion is to bump against someone with a real point speaking pointedly so that the MFI sufferer has enough holes poked into their egos by the pointy points to let the noxious filler escape so that their feet are finally planted back on Tera-firma while they wonder what the vile odor is and wonder away-hopefully to change their diet.

So, all of you please keep honing your points so that you too may save these poor souls from simply floating away so preoccupied with a suspiciously warm feeling that they fail to notice the foul vapor which causes them to loose their way.

Thank you all in advance for you kindness and vigilance in this matter. :)

Love & Bass

I think I'd be included in this post as one of the people who think they know how to shoot a wedding etc

but tbh, I was doing a favor for a friend who has little money, and like someone in that discussion said, some not so good photos are better than none.

The wedding party were very pleased with the photos I took, and I was really nervous. IMHO I done pretty well for my first wedding, condsidering I dont have the "best equipment" or alot of confidence behind the camera :)

Most reactions

Back