Why you (dont) need a 24-70mm

I can see the usefulness of a 24-70 2.8 if you are an event photographer. Its tough, fast focusing, accurate, sharp and reliable.

But I can't see Nikon's 24-70 being used as a walk around lens, that thing is like a cinder block (in my opinion of course).

My walkaround lens is either my Sigma 17-70 or my Sigma 18-300 depending on where I'm walking. If I'm walking around looking for birds it's a Sigma 150-500.

This is what I felt like when I walked around with a gripped D7000 and 17-55 2.8.

5cf089444dddc9939f314acdd1035944.jpg

I don't have a 24-70.. is that bad? I think I have a 28-80 is that ok?

My walkaround lens the 500 F4 or the 300 F2.8 :)

Imagine that, a guy posts a video saying you don't need the 24-70. Suddenly it's an obligation to take his word for it? LOL

If you like it, use it. If you don't? Don't. That simple. Any bias towards a lens is personal preference. NEVER go off of anyone else word without trying it for yourself.

Imagine that, a guy posts a video saying you don't need the 24-70. Suddenly it's an obligation to take his word for it? LOL

If you like it, use it. If you don't? Don't. That simple. Any bias towards a lens is personal preference. NEVER go off of anyone else word without trying it for yourself.
Outstanding point, one that I wholeheartedly support.

Coastalconn, in the interest of me remaining unbiased I'm going to need you to ship me that 500 f4...

Lol

Sent from my N9518 using Tapatalk

Well my main "Walkabout" is right now a Zeiss 35mm f2 (pre-Milvus zf.2). If its raining, the AF-S 28mm f1.8.

All I want is a small durable lightweight 16-600 lens with a constant max aperture of f/1.4 that is tack sharp, gorgeous bokeh, focuses lightning-fast in all conditions and costs $500 or less.

Didn't find one of those yesterday- maybe today...

My walk around lately has been the 105 macro....

The "24-70" was my first purchase with my new camera. It was actually the 12-40mm Olympus, but same difference.
It is on my camera 90% of the time. Until Olympus just recently announced the 12-100 f/4, there really wasn't another good alternative walk-around lens.
I haven't regretted it one bit. I don't see me getting rid of it anytime soon, either.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back