Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
1. 1/10
IMG_7669.jpg

2.1/8

IMG_7670.jpg

3. 1/6

IMG_7671.jpg

now tell me why I don't just keep on going lower if i want to make the picture brighter?

ALSO, why is the 2nd one seems so much better than the 3rd one?

....i know i'm asking newbie questions sorry but i need quick answers i don't have time to look these things up atm...some things just got dumped on me and i need to figure some things out quick! thanks for any C&C <3 xoxooxoxoxo

The longer the shutter speed, the more blur you're going to get. Sure, the picture will be brighter, but blur is absolutely un-usable. When you get your flash, you can use a slower shutter speed, point the flash at the ceiling, and take the same picture at 1/8max probably, and it will be ok. Also keep in mind if you're using manual, that you should adjust the aperture accordingly when changing the shutter speed. Is that the kind of answer you wanted...? I don't really know :confused:

I suggest the book 'Understanding Exposure' by Peterson.

Shutter speed, aperture and ISO all have an affect on the exposure of the image as well as other effects like Depth of field, motion blur/sharpness and digital noise.

As a rule of thumb, keep your shutter speed as fast as the focal length of your lens. So if you are shooting at 50mm, use a shutter speed of at least 1/60. If the light doesn't allow for that, then turn up the ISO.

Or...use flash.

Thank you so much for all your help!!!! You have all have been very helpful and I really love this forum. No one judging anyone at wherever they are in the field of photography!!!

I'll check it out!!! xoxooxoxoxo

i believe the rule for people and animals is that the eyes must be sharp. the second picture seems to look the best because it is the sharpest, as onedayillknowbetter (that's onelongname.. lol) pointed out

I suggest the book 'Understanding Exposure' by Peterson.

Shutter speed, aperture and ISO all have an affect on the exposure of the image as well as other effects like Depth of field, motion blur/sharpness and digital noise.

As a rule of thumb, keep your shutter speed as fast as the focal length of your lens. So if you are shooting at 50mm, use a shutter speed of at least 1/60. If the light doesn't allow for that, then turn up the ISO.

Or...use flash.

so if i have a 28-135 mm lens does that mean i have a 28 mm and i should only shoot a max of ...what? sorry kinda slow =*(

so if i have a 28-135 mm lens does that mean i have a 28 mm and i should only shoot a max of ...what? sorry kinda slow =*(

If you are going to shoot handheld at 28mm, the slowest shutter speed you should use would probably be 1/25 or 1/30. This is just a rule of thumb, though (if you have steady hands you could get away with a sharp picture at a slower shutter speed; the same applies if your lens/camera comes with a vibration reduction feature).

If you have a tripod, the above rule of thumb doesn't apply.

ahhhhhhhhhh i think i'm finally getting the hang of it thanks! xoxoxoxoxo

As everyone's said before me, the middle photo is sharpest and hence the best, but all in all more light would have helped the entire session a lot, since with more light you'd not have had to go to such long shutter speeds and --- what strikes me most here --- you would not have needed to use such a high ISO which causes a lot of noise! And that noise bugs me a lot.

Oh, and one other thing that I wanted to tell you in PM, clee, but for some funny reason can't is: your signature is too large. Please make yourself familiar with our signature_guidelines as part of the FAQs and adapt your sig to them sizewise, ok? Thanks.

If you are going to shoot handheld at 28mm, the slowest shutter speed you should use would probably be 1/25 or 1/30. This is just a rule of thumb, though (if you have steady hands you could get away with a sharp picture at a slower shutter speed; the same applies if your lens/camera comes with a vibration reduction feature).

If you have a tripod, the above rule of thumb doesn't apply.

Uhmm... Just to add: if you shoot at the short end of the lens then 1/25 or 1/30 is good. If you 'zoom' (use a longer focal length) then you should bear in mind that your slowest shutter speed will change...
At full zoom (135mm) then your slowest shutter speed will be 1/125-ish.
At half zoom (80mm) (portrait mode) then you will be looking at 1/60...
So, as you change Focal Length - the value of your slowest shutter speed will change...
All this in natural light / without tripod...
Makes you wonder what is the most difficult - the Art, or the Science...
Jedo

I think Mike was right. You should buy a book that explains exposure and light meter, in general how to take a picture in Manual mode. If you have never had any photographic training, or read anything about functioning a camera in Manual (even the user manual itself), then you should do one or the other. Frankly, point and shoot cameras are the only ones you can literally point and shoot right out of the box. Otherwise, taking a picture requires knowing the camera, not just memorizing numbers--because each situation is unique, that number you memorize may or may not help you in a situation when you only have one chance to get the image. If you don't have the cash for a book right now, (even consider downloading a free E-book) at least functioning the camera in Tv or Av, as opposed to an automatic setting will give you more control and a better idea of what's going on inside the camera.
:)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back