Why?

StreetShark

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Here's a photo I took using the settings stated:
xprmnt.jpg
Why don't they just make these default settings? I only noticed I could change this today and I find it pumps up the color and contrast a nice bit. Does it lower the quality or raise noise levels or something? Also what one do you think looks better?

Why don't they just make these default settings?

The same goes for the Nikons (at least the D80 I own). A lot of people buy DSLRs as an upgrade from their point-and-shoot cameras, and are are very disappointed when they (initially) get "faded" and "soft" looking pictures from their $1000 new toy.

As far as I know, the default settings are usualy set for more "professional" picture takers (notice the quotes), that want/need to do do post processing outside the camera (ie on the computer). Bumping up the in-camera sharpening may have a (small) effect on what sort of post-processing you can do to an image, and bumping up the saturation will sometimes get you laughed at by old-timers that don't like the new, hip saturated look (they call it CartoonChrome or DisneyChrome). So be it.

If you like the saturated look and strait-from-the-camera sharpness that point-and-shoots offer, I think it is a good idea to set your new DSLR to settings similar to what you have posted; on the Nikon D80, it would be equivelent to setting optimization to "VI" (Vivid).

I've had a lot of D80 owners become much happier with their new cameras just by telling them to shoot JPG with optimization set to VI.

After they learn to use the camera, then I advise them to try out other options and settings (RAW, no optimizations, etc.)...but to always choose what they like, not what they are "supposed to be using".

If someone is quite often using a DSLR for snapshots, it makes sense to shoot camera processed images that you don't have to post-process later. Just take the memory card to your local photo processor, and have them print up nice prints straight from the original camera files.

I agree that many DSLR pictures look a bit soft out of the box. The exception is the Sony Alpha which I think looks pretty sharp at default (that's about all I like on that camera though :( ). The D200 I have I bumped up the sharpening to +1.

Generally though I have since then stopped worrying about it. Adobe Lightroom defaults appear more neutral looking than any settings I ever achieved on the camera or Nikon's software.

Most reactions

Back