Wich flash for the Wedding?

SandShots

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I got a Wedding comming up and wanted to know what flash to use?

I shoot with a canon40d, got a bunch of stuff for it but not a flash.

i mostly shoot motorsports but getting into people and would like to get into weddings.

thanks for your input.

The 580EX II would be the 'best' choice for on-camera flash. The 430EX is less powerful but a fair bit cheaper.

I wouldn't recommend shooting a wedding with only one flash, you need back up. That goes for the camera (and other things) as well.

Are you being paid for this??

No, Im not... Im am attending the wedding.

a best friend of mine is getting maried and i have exclusive acess to him and hi wife that morning to do pre ceremony shots.

i dont want to walk in and do point and shoot stuff.
id like to take some quality shots. i'll be shooting their wedding the rest of their day but not as the prime photographer. i still want to shoot good stuff to add to my portfolio. its not my first wedding but its my first with this camera.

Did they hire a pro? If so, talk with the pro to ask how he feels about you taking photos of the event he/she was hired for. They might not like you encroaching on their territory, so to speak. In fact, most pros have something in their contract that states they can leave the event with no refund if they have to compete with another photographer for the couple's attention.

I'd be careful about potentially stepping on the pro's foot if you're in there catching any pre-ceremony shots. I've shot weddings before, and while I'm usually lenient about others using their cameras, I'm not afraid to "banish" a family member or friend from the room if I feel they're hampering my ability to capture shots that I'm being paid good money for.

If you're the only person shooting, well.. Given that you asked about which flash to use, tells me you're not familiar with flash photography. A wedding is hardly a place to experiment using flash photography, especially on someone's special day.

If you're still adamant about shooting the wedding, get a 580 and a backup body, and practice with your new camera BEFORE you shoot. Shoot in similar situations where you will be in, so you can get an idea of how to use your flash. Learn to bounce your flash off the ceiling if you can, and use a bounce card instead of a Gary Fong, which is essentially a big power waster.

If it's outdoors, you should be right at home since you do a lot of motorsports, but don't forget to use your flash to fill in any harsh shadows.

Read the manual when you do get your flash though. You'll need a backup to that 40D and a backup flash and about 30 gigs of memory if you plan to make weddings part of your income.

for the pre wedding shots, i'll be there on my own for 30 minutes and then im gone, ive assisted in wedding shoots before. i know exactly what you mean by competing for the couples attention. They hired a photographer that I reffered them too and I will not be in the way. I'll be taking shots as I can and focusing alot of attention on their family. Im not buying a flash to learn how to use it in the wedding. i have alot of experience with flash, from studio to out on the field. i have a full settup in film cameras w flashes. i also own medium format equipment, sold what i had but kept my mamiya rb6x7. and can hold my own with using flash. i actually luv the fact of using flash in daylight conditions.

im deffinately not stepping on anyones toes.

Well, that still brings me to my question of, if you have all this experience of using flashes, why ask what flash is "best" for weddings? Experienced photographers don't ask this question, novices do. It would be a simple matter of going out and looking at what flashes are out there and deciding which one best fits your needs.

I apologize if I misunderstood your post, but that's how it came across.

Well, that still brings me to my question of, if you have all this experience of using flashes, why ask what flash is "best" for weddings? Experienced photographers don't ask this question, novices do. It would be a simple matter of going out and looking at what flashes are out there and deciding which one best fits your needs.

I apologize if I misunderstood your post, but that's how it came across.

sorry if im not a professional like you. i have experience in flash but not on digital cameras. i thought it was a safe place to post and ask questions since its a photography forum(thats why i joined). I'm not a wedding photographer, but wanted to shoot it with the best flash i can get on my camera. if it came across as a novice question so be it. i can allready see what type of person you are , so if you dont wish to help out then just stay out of my topic, thanks.

Is ETTL functionality important to you? You said you had experience with flashes in the past... so is it safe to assume you don't depend on ETTL flash metering? or are you more accustomed to manual flash and handheld flash meter?

The reason why I ask, is that your options becomes very wide once you remove Ettl as a requirement. You can look towards the traditional (non-digital) older flashes that wedding photographers have used for decades. My observation is that many photographers use the same flash systems they had before they went digital... Systems that they are already invested, more powerful than the 580EX, and better recycling time. What flash did you use prior to digital? Perhaps that flash system is more than enough already. The only concern is the trigger voltages of the older flash systems. You will need to protect your camera with a Wein Safe Sync. One example of an old but goodie flash is the sunpak 622 pro with external sunpak battery (this is is a high voltage trigger flash which means it requires a safe sync).

If budget is not a concern, look towards the Quantum systems. I have no experience with them but I have heard many good input from various people, but it is an expensive option.

http://www.qtm.com/QFlash/

If you choose the 580EX, you might want to consider an external flash pack.

I have shot a few weddings for friends cause they could not afford a pro photographer.. I used my 430 ex and the shots came out nice. But I am sure the 530 is better and you can do more with it....

Get a Metz 45 CL-4 and a wireless setup, bring a stand (and maybe a smallish shoot through umbrella) and have a nice time.

If you can already use a flash then e-TTL is only going to get in your way. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back