Wicken Fen, Cambridgeshire

ZyxKor

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Which is better, what could I have done better? They are large images so I will provide links rather than post them in the thread. I tried to shrink them but I did something weird and it just degraded the quality and not the size.

One

Two

Thanks.

I like the idea of the picture but I just dont like how the whole windmill isnt there. You cut off a decent portion of it on the bottom it looks like. I would rather see less space on the left and maybe a portrait style of the windmill.

I agree with Rip, I kept waiting for the rest of the picture to load. It's an interesting sky, but the windmill was your subject and you cut it off pretty bad. Vertical might be a good look for it, if you wanted it horizontal I would have shot a lot more ground.

I love the first one, the second one is almost too 'dramatic' for me, too unreal. Awesome composition.

ZyxKor's Photos - ZyxKor's Photos - ZyxKor's Photos - ZyxKor's Photos - ZyxKor's Photos

Resized versions for all to see (I think this is better for web-presentation):

Xy_windmill_0003_websize.jpg

Xy_windmill_0004_websize.jpg

I did nothing to them but resizing. So they are still ZyxKor's

A pity about the cropped off bottom of othe windmill and so little fen to be seen. While I agree that the light was very special with a low sun against the white of the windmill ... erm ... whatever that is called (?) and the dark, kind of brooding clouds, it would have been nice to have a bit more "anchor" in the photo, and to see a little more of the equally nicely lit ground and plants.

One day I will visit the Fens. That has been my plan for years now!

2 is better for me...but yeah... get the entire thing next time. Cutting it off makes the picture weird looking.

I was going for the clouds vs. arms of the windmill. I understand getting more of the Windmill, it does kinda make you wonder what the subject of the photo is. I have to try it again next time I'm there, though I'm not sure if I can get the same light.

And a big thanks to La Photo for resizing my photos! :thumbup:

Great shot ! I like the wide angle here ..

Always, always, always keep your subject 100% in the frame. You can always crop later, but you can't uncrop what you dont have. I'd say these images would be perfect, except for one crucial thing, the focal point, the windmill is only half there, or looks half there which is something that ruined this image, IMO. Keep it up though because you did well, everything else.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back