Wide angle lens advice for indoors

ZyxKor

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm going to be doing a lot of indoor photography for real estate. I would like to use a wide angle lens so that I can show off as much of a room as I can. I have a Rebel XTI. Any suggestions on a good lens? Price isn't that much of an issue, I'm more concerned with the quality of the photo - no barrel effect. Also if there are any suggestions or advice for me to help produce the best indoor pictures I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks! :thumbup:

from my experience you always have some distortion if you go for a zoom lens, at least with full frame digital or 35mm film. Don't know about the Sigma though when used with a crop sensor.

many RAW converter these days also allow to automatically reduce/remove the distortion if the parameters for the given lens are available. This is what I often do when I have did use my standard zoom at wide angle for architecture. Of course the image quality suffers a bit and you need more sharpening afterwards when you reduce distortion by RAW software.

You should also consider a prime wide angle. Not sure if there is any good one from canon for crop sensors. I am just selling my 28mm, but that would not be any good for indoors with crop sensors. in fact that was even too long for me on full frame. Around 16 mm on full frame or 10mm on crop is great for indoors from my experience.

Of course there is always situations where you need that wider angle ;)

EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM
For architectural shots...you probably will still need to correct for some distortion. You could also look into DXO Optics, a program that automatically corrects for barrel distortion (among other things)...the corrections are based upon the specific lens that you use. Review here

Big Mike said:
EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM
For architectural shots...you probably will still need to correct for some distortion. You could also look into DXO Optics, a program that automatically corrects for barrel distortion (among other things)...the corrections are based upon the specific lens that you use. Review here

Had a look at DxO but did not like it. It is not what I consider a full RAW converter and you have to pay according to your camera and lenses.

Bibble for example is a full featured RAW converter which I use, and it can also correct for distortions and has spot healing features for those dust bunnies etc.

But I guess these things a just a matter of taste ...

I've never though of DxO as a Raw converter. I guess it depends on your work flow as to when/where you use it.

The review I linked to...does say that you have to buy a new module for your camera and each lens....but that is also 2 years old. From what I've heard, that is no longer the case. For one price you get the software any any/all the modules.

The Sigma 10-20 does suffer from distortion, it's 10mm at the wide end, it has to! But there is very little barrel distortion. The Canon is probably the best UWA but you'll pay more for it.

Big Mike said:
I've never though of DxO as a Raw converter. I guess it depends on your work flow as to when/where you use it.

for sure!
.. I try to do as much as possible in the RAW converter .. and if possible no PS afterwards.

The review I linked to...does say that you have to buy a new module for your camera and each lens....but that is also 2 years old. From what I've heard, that is no longer the case. For one price you get the software any any/all the modules.

DxO now (or at least last time I had a look) comes with packages, like a rather light version for prosumer cams, and then something of a pro package which has the data for all the expensive cams and lenses.

not sure about the details though.

I'll look at the EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM. As I just moved up from a Point N' Shoot camera I don't know much about the different lenses other than the technical specs. I'm going to look into the software side too since I hate distortions created by wide angle lens.

Any other advice for shooting indoors? Filters suggestions? Helpful hints?

ZxyKor said:

Polarizer might be handy to control reflections glass/metal/shiny surfaces. Custom white balance using a proper gret card if using artificial light.
Tripod.

Tripod, tripod, tripod...that's the best advice I can think of. Shoot on a tripod and use a remote or the self timer.

One problem that you may run into, while shooting indoors is the color temperature of the light. Sunlight is quite different from most/all indoor light...so if you mix window light with indoor lighting...you will get a color cast. You can sometimes use this to your advantage...but often it just looks wrong. Flash will match outdoor light...so is also different from indoor light...so if you are going to use flash...some modifications may be necessary.

Check this site for some tips about using flash (specifically off camera flash, which is much better than on camera flash). There is a good section about matching flash to indoor lighting.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that no matter what lens I get it will be above my level for a while. :)

I need to find less expensive hobbies. Cars and cameras seem to be taking up all my income.

Most reactions

Back