Wide Angle Lens decision for D50

Parago

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey all,

so, I was at this party yesterday and a friend of my mother-in-law came over and asked me if I was interested doing Real Estate Photography - she's a realtor and just starting out so she's looking at different people right now she's gonna be able to afford and since my experience level is almost zero, she though she'd give me (and her) a chance. :sexywink:

Now, I currently don't own a designated wide angle lens. I've been looking at several ones and I ahve to admit I'm fairly confused. I have to add I don't want to spend more than maybe $250.- right now.

I would sooo appreciate some help from you guys, as I know most of you have a ton more experience as well as product knowledge than I do.

Also, is it necessary for me to use external flash for this kind of photography or will I be ok using the compact flash which I know how to take the most advantage of)?

I own a Nikon D50.

Thanks! :lovey:

I'm looking at the Sigma 18-50mm F/3.5-5.6 DC Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras right now, it's only $99.- at amazon and I'm wondering - where's the catch..? :raisedbrow:

Now, I currently don't own a designated wide angle lens. I've been looking at several ones and I ahve to admit I'm fairly confused. I have to add I don't want to spend more than maybe $250.- right now.

OK, I am not a Nikon guy, but I heard that there are not many good (ultra)wide angle lenses from Nikon. If you will shoot indoors and she is not selling castles, then the angle can never be wide enough.

My minimum is 17mm on full frame, so that translates to something smaller on your Nikon. But still there are situations when I shoot indoors, where it is not wide enough.

Be prepared for ugly distortions with most lenses, in particlular with ultrawide angle zooms ... those can be compensated with software though (PTLrns or some RAW converters do the job, or, more tedious, with PS CS2)

Also, is it necessary for me to use external flash for this kind of photography or will I be ok using the compact flash which I know how to take the most advantage of)?
Well, the central flash on your camera will not really give the most charming results .. and after all you want to sell something.

But often the lights you can switch on in the house are sufficient when you use a tripod and cable release. Just go for small apertures and long exposures then.

Make sure though, there is not too much light mixing from different sources, that makes whitebalance a nightmare.

OK, I am not a Nikon guy, but I heard that there are not many good (ultra)wide angle lenses from Nikon. If you will shoot indoors and she is not selling castles, then the angle can never be wide enough.

My minimum is 17mm on full frame, so that translates to something smaller on your Nikon. But still there are situations when I shoot indoors, where it is not wide enough.

Be prepared for ugly distortions with most lenses, in particlular with ultrawide angle zooms ... those can be compensated with software though (PTLrns or some RAW converters do the job, or, more tedious, with PS CS2)

Well, the central flash on your camera will not really give the most charming results .. and after all you want to sell something.

But often the lights you can switch on in the house are sufficient when you use a tripod and cable release. Just go for small apertures and long exposures then.

Make sure though, there is not too much light mixing from different sources, that makes whitebalance a nightmare.

Alex, thank you so much for your fast response..

I'll definitely be shooting RAW so WB issues should be easy to correct but thanks for the advice on mixing light sources.

I don't necessarily have my heart set on a Nikkor, I'm actually looking more into Sigma - I haven't heard the best things about Nikkors to be honest. :sexywink:

Do you correct distortion with your RAW software? What do you use? I'm using RAW Shooter Essentials and I don't think I can use it for that. Up until now I've been doing distortion corrections in PS CS but of course I'd prefer doing it during the RAW state of the picture.

I'll definitely be shooting RAW so WB issues should be easy to correct but thanks for the advice on mixing light sources.

If they are mixed badly, you can never get the balance right ... at least not for the whole image with the same settings ;)

I don't necessarily have my heart set on a Nikkor, I'm actually looking more into Sigma - I haven't heard the best things about Nikkors to be honest. :sexywink:

True, that is what I heard as well (at least for wide angle).

Do you correct distortion with your RAW software? What do you use? I'm using RAW Shooter Essentials and I don't think I can use it for that. Up until now I've been doing distortion corrections in PS CS but of course I'd prefer doing it during the RAW state of the picture.

I use Bibble (actually the name of a cat ;) ), a great tool for me. It even has a Noise Ninja plugin (not the full version though). Unfortunately no NeatImage plugin though. Also spot heal for dust bunnies, and many really useful features. Bibble minimised my PS efforts to almost zero ...

If they are mixed badly, you can never get the balance right ... at least not for the whole image with the same settings ;)

True, that is what I heard as well (at least for wide angle).

I use Bibble (actually the name of a cat ;) ), a great tool for me. It even has a Noise Ninja plugin (not the full version though). Unfortunately no NeatImage plugin though. Also spot heal for dust bunnies, and many really useful features. Bibble minimised my PS efforts to almost zero ...

Oh wow, I'll look into that, thank you and Gruesse nach Deutschland. ;)

Not sure how wide you want to go... 17 or 18 or a D50 isn't really that wide. I'm sorry I don;t have anything to suggest in your price range, but at some point you may want to look at the Sigma 10-20, but it's about double your budget.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-10-20mm-4-5-6-Digital-Cameras/dp/B0007U00XK[/ame]

Don't forget to check Pawn shops... never know what you'll find ;)

17mm isn't wide enough, you need to buy a 12-24mm lens OR the Nikkor 10.5 fisheye and use DxO optics to correct it.

The catch is that the lens you are considering has poor image quality. There are a number of wide angle zooms available. Switch mentions the 12-24 which is one I use. Sigma (10-20mm), Tamron etc. also make good wide angle zooms for Nikon digital. You are looking at prices of $500-$1000. There won't be anything near the price of the "normal" zoom you are considering. The only fixed wide angle is the fisheye Switch mentioned. I doubt it would be a good choice for what you want. The wide angles Nikon makes for 35mm cameras aren't very wide on a digital.

Wow guys, thank you so much. What a bummer. Well I decided to try my father-in-laws Sigma 15-30mm for now and if that totally won't work I'll get the 10-20mm Sigma. Even tho it's gonna hurt. :confused: :sexywink:

Ok just wanted to let you guys know I ended up getting the Sigma 10-20mm and I have to say I'm happy with it. Sure there's distortion and all but nothing that couldn't at least halfway decently be fixed in Photoshop.
I was surprised about the weight tho, I definitely have to get used to that.

Now one last question.. I noticed when using flash I seem to be casting a shadow that reaches well into the picture, how on earth is that possible? Do I just have to watch out for other light sources or is this a common thing when using wide angle lenses?

Thanks again for all the advice and help.

I'm not sure what your budget is but have you looked at the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8? I bought one to replace my kit lens and love it!

I'm not sure what your budget is but have you looked at the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8? I bought one to replace my kit lens and love it!

Uhm check out my last post.. I've already purchased a lens now. :blushing:

Not sure which flash you are using but the 800 and 600 have a wide angle diffuser you should use when shooting that wide... if you have a different flash you can buy a diffuser for cheap of bounce the flash. I looked at that lens today and almost bought it... I'm just shy about sigma. If you get a chance would you post an example shot?

Thanks!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back