Wide angle lens for Canon full frame.

wgp1987

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a canon 5d MK II as some know. The 24-105 is a very nice lens but isnt ideal for really wide shots (for weddings, clubs, etc.). I think my next lens investment is going to be something wider than 24mm. I really would want a Sigma 20-40 f2.8 but it is discontinued and scarce online from what i have found. It seems there is no 3rd party or more inexpensive option to the 17-40 f4L from Canon. Any suggestions or insight?

I have the 17-40 f/4L. You can't go wrong with that. You really need a high quality lens for your 5DII. I didn't find any third party comparable lenses when I was looking.

Try and find a 16-35mm f/2.8 L Mark I used... Still expensive, not sure what the realistic discount should be to the Mark II version of that lens... but expect it to hold its value for a while.

I think 17-40 f/4L is your best bet. Other good quality new zoom lenses from 3rd parties will cost about the same.

It appears you are wanting a tad more wider at 20 -40

Tamron makes a 10 22 or 24 dont remember , but its a f3.5

The 16-35 is about twice as expensive as the 17-40. They both rate about the same in the lens tests I have seen, so the only real advantage of the 16-35 is the f/2.8 aperture as opposed to the f/4 on the 17-40. Personally, I don't see a lot of need for a large aperture on a wide angle lens.

The 16-35 is about twice as expensive as the 17-40. They both rate about the same in the lens tests I have seen, so the only real advantage of the 16-35 is the f/2.8 aperture as opposed to the f/4 on the 17-40. Personally, I don't see a lot of need for a large aperture on a wide angle lens.
For weddings and clubs? It's not my preferred way of shooting people, but you can actually get a group of people sufficiently in focus (in terms of DOF) with that lens. The 5D Mk II has pretty good ISO performance so the other lens might suffice... I am not an advocate of shooting wide - wide-open... but it actually works across a table or bar counter with that lens.

Well if i spent $$ in the 7-800 range i would invest in the 70-200 f4L or the sigma 70-200 f2.8. That is my only problem :( ...... do you guys think looking for that 20-40 f2.8 used is a good idea?

I agree with looking for a 16-35 mkI. I own the mkII version and really like it. You are asking for quite alot when you want a decent ultra-wide for dirt cheap to use in dark clubs. LOL

yea the 16-35 mk I would be ideal if i was made of money! lol im gonig to try and find the sigma used :/ ...... let me know if you guys find one!

i found a canon 20-35 3.5-4.5 L .... that is only 300

Don't forget, there's always the 14mm f/2.8L II. It's only $2120. ;)

Most reactions

Back