Wide angle lens for Canon full frame.

Someone mentioned a Sigma 10-20mm, I'm pretty sure that is only compatible with APS-C sensors... I have the 17-40mm on a 40D and so far I'm mixed on it, maybe it's a bad copy but it feels a little soft for me...

Personally, I'd go with the 17-40L. If low light, I'd go with some primes. A compromise of course would the be the wonderful 16-35mm f/2.8L with the older 17-35mm f/2.8L USM as another option to consider.

i found a canon 20-35 3.5-4.5 L .... that is only 300

No such thing...

20-35 f/2.8L (nonUSM) was an early wide EOS wide angle in the "L" line. Introduced about the same time EOS was first introduced.

20-35 f/3.5-4.5 USM is a non-L lens that was introduced several years later. USM but not L.

btw.. I find it extremely strange that someone who just dropped that type of cash on a 5D MII would suddenly be looking for a dirt cheap optic to stick in front.

Last edited:
Someone mentioned a Sigma 10-20mm, I'm pretty sure that is only compatible with APS-C sensors... I have the 17-40mm on a 40D and so far I'm mixed on it, maybe it's a bad copy but it feels a little soft for me...
No, its a full frame lens.

I got my 5d fo free, earned dat shiz! It doesn't need to be the best lens. i wouldn't consider anything but the best. pending on the lens. Im trying to get a decent lens, and it does need to be the best. Ill make it work :)

The 17-40mm is a good deal. I have that lens and the 5D2 and they work together well. But the 16-35 mm version II is better and I wish I had bought that instead. Yes, it is 2x the price but it is a 2.8 vs. 4 plus 16mm is noticeably wider than 17mm. To me the two benefits are worth the extra $720. Now the 16-35 uses 82mm filter while the 17-40 uses a more standard 77mm filter. It will be expensive to be a good 82mm circular polarizer - my guess is another $300 just for that.

No, its a full frame lens.

Not to beat this to death, but the sigma 10-20 mm has been discussed a lot on this forum and I'm 99.98% sure it's only for APS-C sensors. Considering what the Amazon page on it says: "Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM is, on paper at least, a very attractive option for APS-C users looking for an ultra-wideangle zoom." And what the B&H page on it says: "Not suitable for 35mm film SLR cameras or for any digital SLR camera with image sensor bigger than APS-C size, e.g. 1D series or Kodak Pro SLR/c."

Don't put a circular polarizer in front of a 16mm lens... the left side of the image will be polarized, and the right won't.

I dont use any polorizing filters. I just purchased a B+W 010 UV filter for my 24-105 so that 17-40 would mtach up well with what i have now. Im trying to figure out which lens to go with. Either the 17-40 or 70-200! Do i need wider or more zoom? Since im not a professional it will be for more random shooting. I figure for indoor shooting it would be ideal to have the 17mm ..... but the 70-200 is a great lens. Arg, when am i getting my w2 forms!

Do i need wider or more zoom?

I think you are the only one in this world can answer the above questions. ;)

Is 24mm wide enough for you in daily shots? It should be pretty wide with a FF camera like yours unless you like ultrawide angle.

The field of View should be wider than those who use a cropped Canon with the 18-55mm kit lens or my 17-50mm Tamron.

[/QUOTE]Not to beat this to death, but the sigma 10-20 mm has been discussed a lot on this forum and I'm 99.98% sure it's only for APS-C sensors. Considering what the Amazon page on it says: "Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM is, on paper at least, a very attractive option for APS-C users looking for an ultra-wideangle zoom." And what the B&H page on it says: "Not suitable for 35mm film SLR cameras or for any digital SLR camera with image sensor bigger than APS-C size, e.g. 1D series or Kodak Pro SLR/c."[/QUOTE]

My bad, I misread. I though you were referring to the 20-40.

Most reactions

Back