Wide angle lens for cheap?

burstintoflame81

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am debating on what type of lens to get. I want something mainly to be used for landscape shots and occasionally building. I do not need anything for very close up though. Would the Tokina AT-XAF124DXC 12-24mm Wide-Angle Lens do the job? Would it be fairly versatile or pretty limited in its use? Its $399.99 here Amazon.com: Tokina AT-XAF124DXC 12-24mm Wide-Angle Lens for Canon: Electronics

Any other suggestions in this price range? I am VERY VERY new. I just ordered my first SLR and have not even received it yet, so I have not even started, please get me started on the right path. Thanks.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Only you can decide what is the right path, BUT I would hold off on buying any lenses until you've had the camera for a bit, become familiar with it, and have a better understanding of what you want and need. The problem with cheap lenses and especially cheap wide-angle lenses is that they tend to suffer from distortion; straight lines bend, etc.

I agree with tirediron...don't buy another lens yet until you've had your DSLR for awhile and get familar with it. The kit lens is wide enough on the short end while you're learning.

I disagree with the both of ya. Get a tamron 17-55mm 2.8 you should be able to get it for $450-$500 and it's brilliant.

if the kit lens is a 18-55, i dont think the 17-55 would really be a good choice in terms of focal length.
it;s definitely a faster lens, so it beats the kit there.

i would also hold off i think on a lens until you get to learn the camera in and out.
then i'd go grab the sigma 10-20.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back