Wide-Angle lenses? Anyone?? :)

JaimeGibb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey all!!! My mom (being the wonderful mom that she is) is planning on getting me a wide angle lens this Christmas, which I have been dying for :drool:. I have a Canon D20, and currently only have my 18-55mm starter lens on it. Obviously I am a beginner, and looking for a good wide angle lens in the $200-$300 range. Anyone out there have any suggestions?? It would be greatly appreciated!!! I also need a nice flash...again, a good, reliable one for only a few hundred...do they eixist? Help me!! :)

~Jaime

I don't know how good of one you'll get for $200-$300, but I have the Sigma 10-20mm lens for my Sony A100 and love it. Below are some of my favorite shots using this lens...unfortunately it costs about $550-$600.

(the spiraling staircase exiting the Vatican Museum)
696493024_65367307ab_o.jpg

(Pantheon...in Rome)
695622159_9ea80e80a3_o.jpg

(Spanish Steps in Rome...I was about 2 feet from the edge of the fountain)
696486548_56b1c59157_o.jpg

(The Coliseum)
695623595_b36ececd18_o.jpg

I don't have much of a recommendation on the lens, but on the flash you can get the Speedlight 430EX for about $250 (I think that's what it is). Its a very reliable flash and has a wireless slave function. Its just not quite as powerful as the higher up models.

I've got the canon 10-22 ef-s...cost me roughly 600 as well.

Unfortunatly you are not going to find a decent or for that matter a wide angle lens for less than $500 if the budget is 200-300 I would say get a good flash. A good flash can really change the way you take photos. Or if your mom is really cool ask her to spend the extra 300 and forgo your next birthday present as well, a wide angle lens is a very useful lens and will give you a lot of interesting options when shooting.

As flashes go, I stick with Canon and the 430EX is pretty good. About $200-ish. Wide-angles in your price range is another matter. Really depends on the quality of photos you want to take. Do you want to upgrade in image quality or range? The 18-55 is pretty wide as far as crop lenses go. The EF-S 10-22 is the ultra-wide version for crop sensor, equivalent to the 16-35 on full-frame. Unfortunately, it's like $600. Check Sigma, Tamron and Tokina for similar versions.

Another vote for the Sigma 10-20mm. Its not a fast lens, but it is a VERY fun lens that gives me very good quality shots. It is over your budget, but then again, you get what you pay for... and I doubt you will find a good wide angle in that range that could touch the Sigma... if anything at all.

Damn, I was hoping this was going to be a Nikon question. Love my 12-24mm superwide anyway.

I picked up a sigma 10-20 for $300 from craigslist. I thought the price was insane, and it is working great, I love the lense...

I have to agree with the rest if you have a kit lens (do you???) any "wide angle" lens you are going to get for the money you said would just be a lateral move.

Yes, another vote for Nikkor 12-24 f/4 DX... errr... I meant Sigma 10-20 ;)

There is a Russian wide angle prime, the Peleng 8mm f/3.5. I believe its an all manual lens. I have seen some great shots posted on the internet from people who have one. Google it and you'll find a bunch of info. Here is one on ebay for $299.
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-FISHEYE-Pel...yZ106843QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem
I also second the idea of picking up the Canon 430EX for a flash. I got one about a month or so ago and I love it.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I'd agree with the others and say that you may struggle getting a decent WA with your budget. I too have the Canon 10-22mm and love it. It's well worth your while seeing if you can find a way to getting something, as it will change the way you see things for ever.

I have the Canon 10-22mm as well. I use it for my job everyday. Click on the link below to see some of the shots. Sorry no hi-res versions on my website.

It is a superb lens! It's nice and sharp... I've even heard people say it's L quality but because it's an EF-S lens it won't get that name. The quality is really that good. It's awesome.

Again, as people have mentioned - it's more expensive, but well worth it. Even when I'm not working it's my favourite lens to use.
I paid AUD$800 on ebay for mine, when it retails here for about AUD$1300.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back