Wide Angle Lenses For Nikon D7000

StephanieBrewer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello Everyone,

I am new to the forum and this is the first post I've ever made on a forum. :) So please bear with me as I am very green when it comes to photography equipment.

My husband has a birthday coming up and he has been saying for quite a while that he would really like to have a Wide Angle Lens. I believe he is wanting to create panoramic photos with it. He is currently using his Nikon D7000. Does anyone have any suggestions as to a decent Wide Angle Lens I might get him? I'm not looking for anything real expensive as he only does this in his spare time. But I also don't want something so cheap that he won't be able to do what he wants to with the photos he takes with it. I have been doing a little research and have only succeeded in confusing myself and making myself paranoid that whatever I buy will not be a good lens. Any help anyone might be able to give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
S

10.5mm f/2.8 fisheye

great wide angle lens there

I saw this lens this afternoon but wasn't sure if the fisheye lens photos could be stitched. I was reading that it only produces curved lines.

Did he give you any idea of WHAT he wanted? A Prime or a Zoom? What is your budget?

Tokina makes a great 11-16, Nikon makes a great 10-24... there are others but those are probably the two most popular.

I had the Nikon 10-24 on my D7000... and loved it.

If he wants to do panoramas.. avoid the fisheye! The distortion is not conducive to putting the shots together.

10.5mm f/2.8 fisheye

For Panoramas? That would require significant distortion correction on every image, before stitching... right?

Thanks. Yea I saw the 10-24 also. I'm I don't really want to spend over $600 if at all possible and he didn't specify Prime or Zoom. Sorry I don't have more info.

The Nikon 10-24 is awesome, however it is pricey. If price is not a problem, then by all means, listen to Charlie...your hubby will love it.

If price is an issue, check out the Tokina 11-16 (I think is it's focal range). He will love that one too.

Last in line would be the Tamron 10-22. It's a great lens also, but not as good as the above listed two.

10.5mm f/2.8 fisheye

For Panoramas? That would require significant distortion correction on every image, before stitching... right?

Yeah, not ideal at all. I took that initial reply as a joke. I doubt anyone would seriously consider the fisheye for panos.

You guys are awesome! I'll start checking into these lenses. Thanks so much!

Tokina 12-24 f/4 if you can find it. Otherwise go for the Tokina 11-16 f/2.8. The "older" lens will be much cheaper, but you might be able to get the 11-16 used at around the same cost of the 12-24 new.

FWIW, the distortion of the 10.5 fisheye can be corrected with one click with Capture NX2.

FWIW, the distortion of the 10.5 fisheye can be corrected with one click with Capture NX2.

True.. but would that be your chosen lens to do pannys with? :)

I have a Tokina 12-24 f/4, and I definitely recommend it. Very sharp lens for DX.

I recently got the Tokina 11-16 2.8 and absolutely love it. It has rarely left my camera. Great, sharp wide angle lens.

Thank you guys for your help. I really appreciate it.

My husband originally got into photography because he bought me a Nikon D80 one year for my birthday and I got too frustrated with trying to learn all the settings and what not. So he ended up messing with it for a little while and then bought himself the D7000. I think, now, knowing that there are people out there like you guys who are so willing to help the newbie I might just pull that camera out of its bag and give it another go.

Thanks again,
S

Most reactions

New Topics

Back