Vautrin

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.withoutamapphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi All,

So I have a Olympus EVOLT 512 -- that uses Olympuses 3/4s (or is it 4/3?) system.

And my lowest lens goes from 10mm, which I guess is effectively a focal length of 20 or 30 mm?

A lot of times, even standing back, I still want to capture more in the photograph. What kind of lens can I buy that would give me good pictures with more of what I see? Any recommendations? Ideally I'd like something I could get used / off ebay for a few hundred...

Thanks,

Dan

I know that Olympus make a 7-14, but it may be expensive. Google it.

I think you will. Keep in mind that although 3mm may not sound like a lot if you're talking about standard of telephoto lengths, but in wide terms, even 1mm makes a big difference in your angle of view.

i highly doubt it, since i've never seen anything less than 6mm. and i'm pretty sure olmypus uses 4/3

Well what's the best way to get something like a skyscraper completely in the picture? If I take a shot from far away other buildings are in the way, if I take from close up I don't get everything...

Well what's the best way to get something like a skyscraper completely in the picture? If I take a shot from far away other buildings are in the way, if I take from close up I don't get everything...

well if you can't get the entire building into view with a 10mm lens, the 7-14 might help. due to the 4/3 system though it's difficult to get very wide with olympus cameras.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/358162-REG/Olympus_261009_7_14mm_f_4_0_Zuiko_ED.html

that's olympus's widest lens to my knowledge, and it's pretty pricey unfortunately

If you get much under 10mm you get into the fisheye lenses. Broader field of view, but distorted.

Will I see that much of a difference between 7 and 10mm?

Yes definitely. Going from 10 to 7mm focal length on a 4/3 sensor changes the diagonal field of view from 94 to 114 degrees. That is a big difference.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back