Wide angle performance of the Canon 17-40mm f/4L USM Lens with a Rebel Xti?

kpapa

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am aware that the wide angle is somewhat reduced on the APS type camera such as the Canon Rebel Xti (what I use) as opposed to the full-frame. However, I want to purchase a wide angle lens and am hesitant to get the 10-22mm since it is EF-S only ... I don't anticipate upgrading to a full-frame camera now, but sometime in the future (5+ years), I probably will.

Does anyone shoot with an APS sensor camera and the Canon 17-40mm? Do you like it, and still get wide angle performance? I am on the fence about which to purchase, especially since they are nearly identical price-wise right now.

Well, it's one millimeter wider than the 18-55 kit lens. It's not "super wide" or "ultra wide", but it's got a wide angle. About the same amount of wide angle as kit lens, and 15mm less on the long end. Obvious the L quality is a difference though.

If you are not going to upgrade in 5 years or so, get the 10-22mm. It is a great lens with true wide-angle for 1.6 crop sensors. Do not be hesitant because it is a EF-S lens since; as you stated, you are not looking to upgrade to FF any time soon. The 17-40 is a great lens, but reduced to 25mm or so on the Rebel.

Dont buy the 17-40 for use with a cropped sensor. I did that and I sold the lens not too far after. The only reason you should look into that glass is if you are interested in upgrading in a year or two.

Oh sorry. I forgot to finish my first though. It takes great photos, but its not wide. There is a very limited range of zoom. This is an example of a photo taken with the 17-40 backed all the way out. It is super sharp, but not very wide. It is a GREAT lens on a 35mm sensor.

2879859691_55f56ba6a0.jpg

Consider the Sigma 10-20. It's an EF-S too, but considerably cheaper than the 10-22. It is a wonderful piece of glass ... and extremely well built.

http://www.10-20mm.com/

Most reactions

New Topics

Back