Wide Angle -vs- Ultra-Wide Zoom

K-Laa

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I’m ready to add a wide lens to my photography gear, but unfortunately, I haven’t quite made a whole-hearted decision yet. I am leaning more one side than the other, but I wanted to get some opinions before I made the purchase.

So, what do you think: wide angle or ultra-wide zoom?
(Current camera is a Canon Rebel T5)

My wife angle lens is 10 to 20 mm which is wide enough - any wider and verticals would be a nightmare.

Being a crop sensor camera, you can multiply the focal length by 1.6 to find the 35mm film (or full-frame DSLR) equivalency.

Being a crop sensor camera, you can multiply the focal length by 1.6 to find the 35mm film (or full-frame DSLR) equivalency.
But why would you? Even with most of my photographic experience being with 35mm film having a pretend focal length for each lens is meaningless. For those photographers who have never used film or full frame digital the 35 mm equivalence is entirely meaningless.

I have a hard enough time with wide angle, ultra-wide can often mean sticking your nose right up to the subject. Of course the kit lens usually covers the wide angle end good enough until you know what you want.
A few that come to mind...
1) The 10-18mm or 10-22mm that goes wider than the kit lens.
2) The 17-55mm f/2.8 that is faster (larger aperture) than the kit lens.
3) Something in between from a third party lens maker.

But why would you? Even with most of my photographic experience being with 35mm film having a pretend focal length for each lens is meaningless. For those photographers who have never used film or full frame digital the 35 mm equivalence is entirely meaningless.
Because if an uninformed shopper is browsing photos on the net that are labelled as 'taken with a 10mm lens' and he doesn't know the difference between full frame and crop perspectives, he may not get as wide a view as he imagined.

Why must you be so grumpy about everything? Chill, dude- it's gonna be OK.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back