Wide angle worth it?

jessyd

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey guys!!

I'm really new with dslr!!

Just buy today my first dslr nikon d7000 ( the body) i plan to buy the nikon 18-200

I was wandering...

I am traveling a lot, and i like to travel like... Is a wide angle really be worth it ?
Yeah i know it depend of what i do... Lets say i love hiking and take mountain top scenery.

Would tokina 11-16 or nikon10-24 would be a most... Or i can get by only with the 18-200m ? Because it had a lot of weight

Last 2 noob question a bit out threat... Is it bad for my sensor or camera if i take a picture without any lens ( expect the fact that some dust can go to your sensor) ?

And is it bad for my eye or camera taking a bright midday sun straight In a middle of my picture ?

Thanks in advance...

Do you like to shoot wide angle shots? If so, then yes.

you can't really take pictures without a lens...

Although I didn't buy the kit (18-105mm) lens, I think it is a very good range, and has good image qualities. Most of the people here will tell you the range (18-200mm) is too large, you will loss image qualities. 18mm is not ultra-wide, but is consider a very wide. Ultra-wide angle lens has limited applications, and you may get bored with it very quickly.

Whether or not the 10-24 or 11-16 will be useful to you is something we cannot answer. Only you can, and if you find 18mm isn't enough FOV to capture the views you want,then the answer is no the 18-200 isn't enough.

The sensor doesn't care if there's a lens or not. It's totally oblivious to it's presence or lack thereof.

And yes, looking at the sun can damage your eyesight.

The 18-200mm is a good general purpose lens and as everyone has said, it'd up to you to decide whether it's wide enough or not.

Oh and one thing before I go:

NEVER, EVER LOOK DIRECTLY AT THE SUN. ESPECIALLY THROUGH A LENS!!!!!

If you have a desire to shoot at a wide angle, then yes. My father owns one and its loads of fun to play with, from star trails to travel, definitely a useful lens!

Most reactions

Back