Wide angle

danalec99

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm in the market for a wide angle lens for the 10D.
Looking at around the 28-ish range.

Any pointers?

To get 28mm perspective for the 10D you're gonna have to go with at least a 19mm (actually equals about 30mm I believe).

Many of the 19-35mm zooms available have a noticeable fisheye effect at the 19mm end of the scale. I have a Phoenix which I got dirt cheap, and it's clear and sharp, but the fisheye effect is noticeable.

If you can afford the Canon version, you'll probably be happier sticking with it rather than a 3rd party lens.

drlynn said:
To get 28mm perspective for the 10D you're gonna have to go with at least a 19mm (actually equals about 30mm I believe).

Many of the 19-35mm zooms available have a noticeable fisheye effect at the 19mm end of the scale. I have a Phoenix which I got dirt cheap, and it's clear and sharp, but the fisheye effect is noticeable.

If you can afford the Canon version, you'll probably be happier sticking with it rather than a 3rd party lens.

I do not wish to go fish eyed at the moment.

Which one does Canon have in its collection for my specs?

Canon makes a 17-40mm, F/4L and the lowest price seems to be $660.
Sigma makes two that would be OK, one is a 15-30mm, F/3.5-4.5 and lowest price I've seen is $500.
The other Sigma which I'm considering getting is a 17-35mm, F2.8-4.0 and sells for $470.
If anyone has used any of these lenses I'd love to have their comments.

Forgot to mention, the crop factor on the 10D is 1.6 so a 15mm equates to a 24mm and a 17mm becomes a 27mm (just over).
HTH.

mrsid99 said:
Canon makes a 17-40mm, F/4L and the lowest price seems to be $660.
Sigma makes two that would be OK, one is a 15-30mm, F/3.5-4.5 and lowest price I've seen is $500.
The other Sigma which I'm considering getting is a 17-35mm, F2.8-4.0 and sells for $470.
If anyone has used any of these lenses I'd love to have their comments.

Thanks for the inputs drlynn mrsid99. Those are pricey!!!

Most reactions

Back