Wide-angles with the 1.6x Crop

Reaction score
Website
www.annikashultz.com
Hey all...sorry if this is overdiscussed, but I can't quite find specific enough answers for myself personally.

My next lenses will most likely be a macro and a wide-angle (I have the 50mm prime now and love it, it's a great walk-around, but I am wanting more). I've picked out the macro I want, so that's archived for when I can afford something. But as for the wide-angle....I'm overwhelmed.

I've got a 350D (Rebel XT) which of course has that 1.6x crop factor. I want to shoot dramatic wide-angle shots, like those kind where you can see the ground at your feet and the clouds over your head, all in focus....nearly 180 degrees. Here's a good sample.
http://www.fredmiranda.com/distortion/samples/16mm_before.jpg

This appears to be a rectilinear wide-angle lens (right? doesn't that mean, "no line curvature?") A little distortion doesn't bother me, because it is fixable, but I don't think I want a fisheye. This photo was shot at 16mm on a 1D (which I believe is sans 1.6x crop).

So my question. What focal length lens do I need to achieve this on my dSLR with the crop factor? Remember a little distortion doesn't bother me (and is sometimes cool IMO) but I don't want a bulging fisheye distortion....at least I THINK I don't....drrrr...

Lenses I've found:
Sigma 10-20mm zoom
Sigma 14mm Aspherical
Tokina 15mm, but that's a diagonal fisheye I think

Any help would be much appreciated and tucked away in a safe place till around my birthday ;) Thanks!!

the 10 is like the basic fisheye for 35mm it would be 16mm with the crop so if you want that fisheye look that is what you want to get

Well, I personally don't have a 'wide' lens so to say, but I have borrowed one. Here is a shot on the 350D at 10mm (on a borrowed Canon 10-22mm)

96092885_c2654bfd02_m.jpg

Some bulging present, but not enough that couldn't be easily fixed. Then the 'longer' end of the lens produced this:
31079708_666c16fa60_m.jpg

(Note: I was pretty much right at it. I could probably reach out my arm and touch it when I took this) So rather impressive if I ask me (Though I am easily impressed by lenses I must say)
So, I really enjoy the zoom wide angle lenses just for some interesting walking around, so I am a tad bit biased to the first Sigma on the list there, but, I have never even tried anything similar tot he other two. good luck making your decision :)

any chance we can see that first one bigger sized please peanuts? it looks good and im thinking of buying that lens

Thanks guys!

Brit: The borrowed Canon is apparently rectilinear wide angle (because it's not bulgy fishy)? And therefore the Sigma I mentioned, if it doesn't say fisheye anywhere, would also be rectilinear (with minimal distortion?) I'm thinking more and more of the Sigma 10-20 not only because it is the widest, but also because it zooms a little bit for when I need a slight adjustment on my composition yet don't want to jog 50 feet forward; and because it's affordable. I think the next step is to go into a really nice camera shop like Helix where, possibly, they will let me put it on my 250D body and test it out (perhaps with supervision they'll even let me try it outside! Gasp!)

I <3 my 10-22. 10mm is the only way to go, if you want really wide on a 1.6x digital

Most reactions

Back