Wide lens recommendation

My new photography buddy from the local club I joined suggested this. He loves it and it is reasonable in price. Nikon 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G ED AF-S VR Nikkor Lens

For ultra wide, he suggests this and said if you look hard enough you can get a good one under a grand. Nikkor 16-35 f4
AF-S NIKKOR 16-35mm f/4G ED VR from Nikon

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
I used to own the Nikon 24-85mm 3.5-4.5 VR
Excellent lens, replaced it with the 24-70mm 2.8G
So as you se I have 24mm lens and to be honest its not wide enough.
Nikon 16-35mm f4 is a good lens but might be a bit outside my budget

get the newer AF-S version of the 18-35 f/3.5-4.5 then $625ish or so.

For real estate you may not need f/4 ... as more depth of field is needed so going with the higher end glass might not be worth it.

There's always tilt-$hift too ...
Too exoensive too :(

Does anyone know the Sigma 12-24mm 4.5-5.6 II ?
Reviews seem to be impressed with this lens and I found it for 500$ in my area used.

When I do those types of shots with the 18-35 I use the software to correct the fall-in of up-close shots. But you lose some from the bottom and sides to .. I'm guessing here ... to about a 21mm lens. I could run a test real quickly.

My new photography buddy from the local club I joined suggested this. He loves it and it is reasonable in price. Nikon 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G ED AF-S VR Nikkor Lens

For ultra wide, he suggests this and said if you look hard enough you can get a good one under a grand. Nikkor 16-35 f4

He is at my house and said to check for a Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC. He said make sure it is a UMC and not a MC....He said that sigma you were looking at is good IF you get a good copy. He said something about getting a good copy used is tough. I told him to join here but he is not into internet and the like.
Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC Lens For Nikon with AE FE14MAF-N

He is at my house and said to check for a Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC. He said make sure it is a UMC and not a MC....He said that sigma you were looking at is good IF you get a good copy. He said something about getting a good copy used is tough. I told him to join here but he is not into internet and the like.
The lens looked interesting, excellent across the board and very good price and then it hit me, its manual focus, I dont do manual focus, too blind for that :(

Did you look at the tokina 16-28 I mentioned. Can't say I've used one but it gets good writer ups

Did you look at the tokina 16-28 I mentioned. Can't say I've used one but it gets good writer ups
Yes I did, too expensive :( about 800$ CAD after I includ everything.
None to be found used on ebay.

Oops. I thought it was good but cheaper than that. Sorry bout that, I know your on a budget for this one

Oops. I thought it was good but cheaper than that. Sorry bout that, I know your on a budget for this one
One thing that screws me over is the big gap we seem to have lately to the USA dollar, I can find online many more used lenses in the US then in Canada but then I get hit by almost 25% more in price so 600$ this Tokina is worth in the US plus shipping and I am almost at 800$ Canadian :(
I have this Sigma 12-24mm 4.5-5.6 II for 500$ CAN (used), its also more then I wanted to spend but for now it doesnt look like I can find anything worth getting bellow that.

The lens looked interesting, excellent across the board and very good price and then it hit me, its manual focus, I dont do manual focus, too blind for that :(
I called him and he's got nothing left to recommend.

I called him and he's got nothing left to recommend.

Thank you :)

Spent a big chunk of today learning and knowing wide lenses, some of the old ones are very reasonably priced but I really dont want to buy another dud like my old Sigma 18-35mm
I will look a bit more and if I will not find anything else and this Sigma 12-24mm is still for sale I will buy it.

So after more thoughts I am pretty sure this Sigma 12-24mm is the best I found.
I am pretty shocked to see brand new here in Canada its a 1400$ lens (tax included) so assuming its in the state the seller is saying is I think this lens is actually a pretty good buy.
Set time on Monday to meet the guy so wish me luck :)

A bit late here, but with Two strong recommendation, which are my wide lenses kits:
- Samyang 14mm f/2.8 ED IF UMC with chip
- Nikkor AF-S 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED

Together they form an excellent light weight and ultra wide kit. I've written a comprehensive review for each of them, with many images and photos, that you can find here:
- Review: Nikkor AF-S 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED (excellent UWA FX lens): Nikon SLR Lens Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
- Review: Samyang/Rokinon/Bower 14mm f/2.8 ED IF AS UMC with chip: Third Party Lens Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Here my sample shots with them (mainly with a D810):
- Bower 14mm f/2.8 ED AS IF UMC

Good luck.

A bit late here, but with Two strong recommendation, which are my wide lenses kits:
- Samyang 14mm f/2.8 ED IF UMC with chip

Together they form an excellent light weight and ultra wide kit. I've written a comprehensive review for each of them, with many images and photos, that you can find here:
- Review: Nikkor AF-S 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED (excellent UWA FX lens): Nikon SLR Lens Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
- Review: Samyang/Rokinon/Bower 14mm f/2.8 ED IF AS UMC with chip: Third Party Lens Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Here my sample shots with them (mainly with a D810):
- Bower 14mm f/2.8 ED AS IF UMC

Good luck.
Thank you very much for the feedback, it is indeed a bit too late never the less I will say the Samyang looks like an interesting lens but its MF and I dont do manual focus.
Nikon 18-35mm 3.5-45G is a good lens but out of my range at 800$ USD the cheapest

Yesterday I got my lens, I got the Sigma 12-24mm 4.5-5.6 II
I did a quick shoot with it and its VERY impressive, for the price I paid I think I got a lot of lens for the price and true it is a bit slow but that ok as this lens will be used in specific scenarios only and most will be on a tripod anyways at aperture of f8
Seeing the world with 12mm on a full frame sensor is awesome!!! :)

Most reactions

Back