Wide Lens

saltydog3317

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am looking for an inexpensive wide lens. Would use this for Landscape-Cityscape type of shots. I would be mounting this on a Nikon D40.
Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks Kevin

Why on earth would you want an "inexpensive" wide lens for landscape photography..

The cheapest way to go is to use the 18mm end of the 18-55 that you already have... they don't get too much wider than that without being very expensive for good results.

However, you might look at the Sigma 10-20

+1 on the Sigma 10-20. You can get one for about $400. Quite a difference from the 17mm end of your lens.

+2 on the Sigma 10-20. Got it, love it. Took this the other night: (I don't like how Flickr desaturates it a bit)

3369688196_cfd8f67e0f_b.jpg

Last edited:
The tokina is more of a fisheye meaning it does correct for cuviture of the image. Your best bet is probably the sigma. Another nice lens is the sigma 17-70. It's a 2.8 at the wide end and is nice and sharp. Of course this would more of a replacement to your kit lens, but it's a suggestion.

sigma 10-20mm. you will not be disappointed especially mounted on the D40. Lets face it....if you're shooting with a D40 you likely aren't in the market for a lens thats double (or quadruple) the price of your body.

the sigma is a good lens, solid build quality, and picture quality.

Just got my Sigma 10-20mm today and cant wait to shoot with it......

sigma 10-20mm. you will not be disappointed especially mounted on the D40. Lets face it....if you're shooting with a D40 you likely aren't in the market for a lens thats double (or quadruple) the price of your body.

the sigma is a good lens, solid build quality, and picture quality.

I have heard some pros say that it is wiser to invest in good lenses over bodies. A good lens you will want to keep around forever while bodies can be upgraded as you see fit.

Last edited:
That is my thought. I will buy a lens that I can keep and use for years to come. I will upgrade my Nikon D40 body someday when I feel the need, but for now I dont believe a better body will do anything to improve my ability to take a good picture. I am still learning and believe the D40 is a fine camera to learn with.
I think the Sigma 10-20 might be what I am looking for. The 17-70 might be a good upgrade to my Kit 18-55 also.

Thanks for your thoughts.

+3 on the sig10-20....cant wait for that tax refund so i can grab one. pics ive seen on here taken with it look awesome.

Hey Saltydog, since you're on the topic of lenses, how do you like the 35mm DX? I haven't found them in stock around here but I definitely want to pick one up. You have any shots with it yet?

Sigma 10-20....

Although I don't own one, the Sigma 10-20mm lens seems very much the favourite for photographers. Also, when you said that the Sigma 17-70mm would be a good upgrade, I would recommend skipping that lens as an upgrade. Yes, it's a weeny teeny bit better than the 18-55, and there's slightly more range, but it's not really an upgrade at all. I would much more recommend the Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8. Based on reviews, it's a pro-spec large aperture lens that's sharp as a tack for a fraction of the price.

Most reactions

Back