Wide or telephoto

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by D-50, May 15, 2006.

1. D-50

D-50 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I am on the verge of purchasing a new lens although I am stuck because I would like a new wide angle but also want a good telephoto. I was looking at the Nikon 80-400mm VR and the Nikon 12-24mm. I currently have a Nikon 18-70mm and feel its a decent lense but I want something that will go wider. I tend to shoot a lot of city shotsof buildings, skylines, and people, yet I spend a decent amount of time in the woods as well. I do have a 55-200 lense but its a kit lens and it nothing special. How much wider does a 12mm go than an 18mm? an example would be great. If the difference is not big should I go with the 80-400 because that will give me a much larger range to shoot in? Any thoughts woud be appreciated, personal experiences with telephotos vs. wide angle would be appreciated to.

2. molested_cow

molested_cow No longer a newbie, moving up!

They cover totally different ranges. I have both, and I use both equally often.

So... get both!!!

3. D-50

D-50 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That would be nice but Im not sure if I can rationalize spending over 2000 right now. I was wondering if people find either of those ranges more useful than the other. Personally I think you're right, I should get both. I guess the crux of my decision is 12mm that much wider than 18mm and please noone respond saying the difference is 6mm because I know that. I have never looked through a 12mm lens so I do not know how wide it will get me. If anyone has two photos of the same ashot but one at 12mm and one at 18mm I would greatly appreciate seeing them.

4. bigfatbadger

bigfatbadger TPF Noob!

5. D-50

D-50 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thats exactly what I was looking for thank you very much