Maisy arms the Discombobulator, part 2

discombob2.jpg

Maisy stares into the vortex

mjncone06a.jpg

Arlo hits the bricks

acnwl06.jpg

camera: Widelux
film: Tri-X and FP4 in Diafine

That last one is great...the look on his face is classic...and the whole widelux effect just seems to fit.

The caption for image #1 has me ROTFL. That's perfect for this image! Could be a greeting card. ;)

I really admire the lens on this camera - love the texture on the *Discombobulator*.

Are these scanned prints or negs? The tonal range of #3 has me drooling!

These are low res scans from the negs. I do tweak them as necessary in PS. Similar to how I would burn and dodge them in the darkroom, although PS gives me much more precise control. The Diafine reduces contrast, and then scanning reduces contrast, so I start out with a really gray file in PS. I use the lasso to select the areas I want to mess with, and use curves to adjust. It's sort of like split contrast filtering in the darkroom, although I'll admit that I probably wouldn't go to the trouble of split contrast filtering in the darkroom for these shots.

I'm finding the Widelux to be particularly well suited for the hybrid darkroom. Shots taken on nice overcast days are easy to print, but if the sun is in the sky anywhere near the composition of the photo, there is going to be areas of contrast change due both to lens flare, and the light changing directions from one side of the image to the other. Being able to go in and micro edit a particular area has salvaged a lot of my older widelux shots.

I'm still printing a lot of negs the old fashioned way, but if they give me any trouble in the darkroom I'm not afraid to lay the smack-down on them in Photoshop. ;)

Maisy arms the Discombobulator, part 1 (taken 2 years before part 2)

intrain1.jpg

great stuff Matt. :thumbup: I see the answer here (film scans) to my question I just posted in Urban thread. I gotta look around carefully before posting. :D

these are great, i especially like the one of arlo . . . if only there were no cars in the background!

I'm glad to see you posted version #1 of Maisy on *The Thing*. :lol: With the caption in mind, the second version here seems to give a better vantage point.

...if only there were no cars in the background!

Then it would be someplace else besides our neighborhood. :) When I look through my baby albums, and see all the cars, it really adds a flavor of the times. Don't worry, I have plenty of pretty pics of the kids. These neighborhood shots have to include the cars, the litter, the college kid passed out on a sofa in his yard....

Most reactions

Back