Wife & Daughter

Discussion in 'People Photography' started by Josh66, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Josh66

Josh66 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    My wife & daughter.

My new scanner (Plustek 7300) came in today, this is my first scan. I think I'm getting the hang of the software...

This was Fuji Neopan SS 100, pretty sure I used my 85mm 1.8 and this looks to be either wide open or close to it. Taken in February this year (8 months ago), so I don't really remember all the details, and I didn't write them down.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
  2. Josh66

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Any thoughts?

116 people looked at this - nobody has anything to say (good or bad)?

3. Jeff Canes

Jeff Canes No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Don’t know any think about that model, but it seem to have done a good job. But it does seem a little soft. That could be from a few thinks other than the scan setting.

4. Josh66

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The softness is likely due to shooting at or near f/1.8, I don't think it's from the scanner.

At 100% the eyes are a little soft, so I might have missed the focus a little too...

There's a few dust spots that need to be fixed. I could do it in lightroom easily (except that lightroom doesn't support TIFFs..., WTF?!), or GIMP if I have to; don't have photoshop. The SilverFast software that came with the scanner can do it too, but I haven't quite figured that part out yet.

How can I avoid dust on future scans? Is there a good way to clean the negatives without risking scratching them? (I would rather have dust than scratches, although scratches might be easier to fix...)

EDIT- I think I got the thing with Lightroom and TIFFs straightened out... For some reason it won't import the greyscale ones, but color works fine. Not sure why...

Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
  5. Jeff Canes

Jeff Canes No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Will the scanner save as jpg? Since it the first save and it the file is very large to start with there should be no perceived lose data. Then you can save as a tiff when PP

Last edited: Oct 31, 2008
  6. Josh66

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yes, I can save as .tif, .jpg, .pdf, or .jpf.

Maybe that's what I'll have to start doing. Save the scan as a jpg then process it in lightroom.

I wonder why Lightroom won't recognize the TIFFs from the B&W scans though...?

I can only scan 24 bit color or 8 bit greyscale (is Lightroom not recognizing the B&Ws because they're only 8 bit?). I have to buy SilverFast HDR (soon, I hope) to scan 48 bit color and 16 bit greyscale. (Technically, I can do those scans now, I just can't do anything with the files.)