Wifi Card

marie1128

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Is a wifi card what I think it is? Is it a card that can make your camera put your photos directly onto a website/photo organizer through a wifi connection? Can someone explain a wifi card's abilities and functions to me or recommend one for my specific camera? I have a t5i and was hoping to get one, so I don't have to worry about if my SD card is going to work in my computer or not (I am trying to put pictures on my computer right now and haven't been able to get a single picture over (out of over 900) without it popping up with error messages...I do have the SD unlocked lol).

Thanks!

Is a wifi card what I think it is? Is it a card that can make your camera put your photos directly onto a website/photo organizer through a wifi connection? Can someone explain a wifi card's abilities and functions to me or recommend one for my specific camera? I have a t5i and was hoping to get one, so I don't have to worry about if my SD card is going to work in my computer or not (I am trying to put pictures on my computer right now and haven't been able to get a single picture over (out of over 900) without it popping up with error messages...I do have the SD unlocked lol).

Thanks!
The problem with Wifi cards (and presumably cameras) is that they transfer rate is pretty slow. So unless you are shooting small jpegs, it would feel like it's taking 'forever' for the images to appear on the computer.

As for transfering your images to your computer, I don't see that using Wifi would be any different, they are the same files. It sounds like you have an issue that needs fixing. Have you installed the software that came with the camera?

^^^ This

I have an Eye-Fi card. I never use it.

I bought it thinking that I'd be able to pair the camera to my iPad (I can) and transfer photos to my iPad where it's easier to review and ... if I want I can process it on the spot. But the reality is that I have to wait quite a while from the moment you snap the picture until it finally shows up on the other device.

To save power, the radio switches off when not transferring an image. The camera and card wait several seconds to see if you're going to take any further images and, if not, it begins the transfer. This means every image -- regardless of size -- has a bit of a delay until it switches the radio on and completes the transfer. If you shoot RAW, the transfer itself will take quite a while. You must not do anything with the camera while the transfer is occurring or it will stop the transfer (you can't transfer and shoot simultaneously... it only seems to want to transfer when the camera is idle.)

If you're back home and want to transfer your images, it would be much quicker to do the transfer by inserting the card directly into the computer or using a USB cable.

While the cards work... they are slow to the point that they disrupt the pace of your shooting to an uncomfortable amount. I was hoping for something that allowed me to shoot without really thinking about the transfer and just have the transfers going in the background, but it doesn't really work like that. You shoot... wait, wait, wait, wait, review... shoot... wait, wait, wait, wait, review... etc.

incidentally, it's my understanding that earlier versions of card or camera firmware allowed the card to keep the radio on and spooling continuously... but this killed the battery much more quickly. They now toggle the radio off to extend battery life.

Thanks!

why aren't you just connecting with the USB cable then? I don't like taking my card out of the camera, just another opportunity for me to accidently damage the connection. would rather just plug the cable into the port and download.

Most reactions

Back