Wild Flasher?

Overread

hmm I recognise this place! And some of you!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well first time I went to the zoos with my camera I never thought of using flash, all I had was my popup and that was not good enough - too harsh.
Now I have a nice and flashy speedlite and also a softbox, but I am wondering if I really should do any flash in the zoo at all? Even with the softbox is still not a dim light and animals in the zoo are often within range of the flashes effects so the question becomes two fold:

1) is flash photography allowed? I know many of the darker inside areas do not allow it - for good reason that they are dark for the animals - but what about outsie - is it allowed?

2) is it - best word is morally - right to do so in the first place?

What are the thoughts of other zoo and captive animal photographers?

As I've said before, going to the zoo to take photos of "wildlife" is like going to a prison to shoot portraits. Plenty of people here will disagree for many reasons. They're retarded. The people and the reasons. Not being able to afford an African safari doesn't make zoo photography any more legitimate as far as I'm concerned.

Bring it on, zoo photographers! Or don't bother. I don't care.

Edit: I feel like nobody is going to say anything tonight but I'll check this thread tomorrow after work and there will be 30 replies.

Last edited:
As I've said before, going to the zoo to take photos of "wildlife" is like going to a prison to shoot portraits. Plenty of people here will disagree for many reasons. They're retarded. The people and the reasons. Not being able to afford an African safari doesn't make zoo photography any more legitimate as far as I'm concerned.

Edit: I feel like nobody is going to say anything tonight but I'll check this thread tomorrow after work and there will be 30 replies.

:lol:

can we start a new thread == = ppplease?
there I will happily debate with you!

awe heck - new thread here: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1351908#post1351908

I dunno about zoo policy but why would it be immoral to flash animals? They might even dig it??

snip

Either you care or not - pick one......

Well, the other thread got closed. I don't actually care about Zoos, or whether people shoot there or not. I have three kids, and can tell you that after years of in-depth research: I like my kids, but not other people's kids. And I don't like large groups of families. And the zoo attracts those. And the zoo smells like poo.

BUT: I propose we start a counter-project: let's go to malls, and shoot fat people.

I'll start:

1173821387.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back