Wild Pigs

... I never heard of anyone out here eating javalina ... I wonder if they taste like pork ...

if those are bore - and they look like they are - but just a little small (?) they taste like slightly sweeter, slightly gamier pork. Fun to hunt too.

haha cute piglet! We have wild bore in Florida too. I hear they can be dangerous too since they have poor eye sight so they will just charge at possible predators. Do yours have tusks too?

hah cute little piggies. Who said they're dangerous?

They really are. Those mama javelinas can get nasty. If you get near their babes, daaaang.

We have an old retired cowdog; a Catahola mix, he's about 12, with a split ear from a dog fight, skin tumors an who knows what else. He used to be a hog/javelina fightin monster. Daddy recalls onetime he got into a tussle with a javelina; these things are big too. Their teeth can do some nasty damage, man are they aggressive. Anyway, Sam {our dog} and that javelina rolled into a dirt tank and were fighting in the dang water. I guess finally they both went underwater, and Daddy just sat and looked. In a few moments, here comes that javelina barreling out of that water and high-tailing it for the brush.

Sam returned with hardly a scratch.

But yeah they are. The wild hogs are nasty too. When we had Wilbur, he was tiny when Daddy caught him. He would go pick him up, and sweet talk him, and was rubbing him on the side of the snout with his thumb when ddgummed Wilbur just turned and bit Daddy. Those little teeth are just like needles. Nasty little suckers.

cute shots, is it just me or is there some sort of cat in this bush stalking these piggies?

cat.jpg

cute shots, is it just me or is there some sort of cat in this bush stalking these piggies?

I looked at the original photos and there is nothing but plants there. We do have bobcats here, but the piggies would have chased them. I saw a male javalina chase off a pack of 6 coyotes one day. I wouldn't want to mess with them.

Most reactions

Back