Wildlife Discussion

Anubis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.bryanmansell.co.uk
Hi,

I know we already have a wildlife and nature gallery, but could we have a forum specifically for discussing wildlife photography? I think it is quite an extensive discipline which would benefit from it's own area.

Thanks for considering!

Bryan.

you mean as in discussing the technical , ethical and planning issues of wildlife photography? I doubt we have the critical mass of full time wild life photographers on here to keep such a sub-forum alive for more than a couple of weeks.

I like the idea, I just doubt it would
be very active for a long time.

If you talk about a section for images from that field, I am not sure about the statistics.

So why do birds fly away when I’m trying photography them from 30 feet away on the opposite side of the canal, when at the same time an alligator is only three feet away from them.

no, i think he means, like what alex said, a place to talk about the different planning and prep and what not about going into the wild to actually shoot the animals.

It would be too easily confused as a gallery section, only making the modding tasks more extencive. I understand the theroy but do not believe it is going to happen.

Well how about I start a thread in the wildlife gallery called "wildlife FAQ" and I'll sticky it and people can ask questions or post tips??

Well how about I start a thread in the wildlife gallery called "wildlife FAQ" and I'll sticky it and people can ask questions or post tips??

I like that Idea, Actually I think it should be more wide spred and done pertaining to some of the other more challenging/asked about fields by their respective experts so to speak in other sections as well. Fields like Night, Automotive, Portrature and whatnot.

Fields like Night, Automotive, Portrature and whatnot.

I volunteer as an expert for whatnot-photography, it is an interesting and growing field.

no, i think he means, like what alex said, a place to talk about the different planning and prep and what not about going into the wild to actually shoot the animals.

Yep, to be able to talk about planning, prep, sources of info, identifying species, locations of species, wildlife reserves, even zoos. But more importantly the actual photographic techniques, such as how to minimise sacrificing quality for speed as most animals are too fast and fidgety to caputre on 200ISO in anything but bright sunlight. Techniques for panning and maintaining focus on animals while using 500mm+ lenses. How to choose an exposure for a white bird against mud and grass, or on water and to be able to do it in the 30 or so seconds you may have before it goes into hiding again, books, camouflage, hide building, stalking techniques.

Initially a sticky FAQ would suffice I imagine, but at the same time I think it would all to quickly become large and unreadable if you consider the number of possible answers to the topics I mention above.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back