Wildlife Rescue Mission

DarkShadow

Birdographer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Of this fledgling Osprey in a downed nest washed up along the shore bank. I made a call to a A place called hope here in CT which is a nonprofit rescue group that rescue's raptors for rehab and return back to the wild as soon as they can be released providing there is no injuries that prevent that.After about a hour of waiting with the bird a volunteer for rescue gentlemen Dan showed up to bring the osprey back to a rehab center until it can be released back to nature.While I feel bad for the parents no longer have there young, at least its still alive and looks healthy from what I could tell. I climbed down some rocks and gave it a fish but seemed to stress to eat.In the event no one showed up, was going to rescue it my self but would have had to go get some heavy duty gloves for safety and something to put her or him in but a volunteer came so no worries and safely removed the osprey. We are not sure the exact location where the nest was and why it fell but we did have some mild winds and rain so maybe that was the cause of it for the nest to slide off.This was the only one found in the floating nest so if there was others they may have not made it but hopefully they took flight already and this was the last one to yet to ween from the nest. It's pretty awesome to be part of something so special and protect it to have a chance of life.

DSC_1859 by David Kammerer, on Flickr

Great story and good job getting this beautiful babe rescued. It looks really healthy and unharmed. amazing it stayed in the nest. Oh, nice image as well.

Great photo, it does indeed look like quite the feisty bird! Here is to hoping that it gets a fast release with no issues.

Did you get any photos of the rescue itself*? Even if not I'm sure the rescue centre would welcome a photo like this and if you keep in contact you could even photograph the birds progress and release. Such stories and media can be very valuable donations to rescue centres in helping give them stories and media to help spread their story and information as well as make more people in the public aware.

*I'm aware from your story, that it was just you and the volunteer so might well have been you helping or keeping an eye out/etcc and thus too busy to take photos.

I am happy a lover of nature found the bird and did the right thing. With the incredible photos you have shared since I have been a member here, I have no doubt your efforts will be repaid by good karma.

Thanks everyone,yeah it was feisty and had a lot to say when I got within reaching distance so gave it the fish took the picture and got out of its face. As far as the rescue operation it was like 30 second job though I had time to shoot it and should have to tell and complete the story I distracted by something else like the hottie in the two piece on the beach I am so bad.LOL

Love the shot. Hope things are fine with it and back in the wild where it belongs.

You know what! If is wasn't for you to had noticed the situation of this chick. it wouldn't survived.

Well actually its someone I know spotted the bird first down along the river bank then contacted me then got in my car went to check it out before making the call as he didn't know who to call and if the bird was alive so jumped in the car and drove to location then made the call to the right folks.I was told someone that works for DEEP looked and left wtf. And the last time someone called DEEP about a bear they shot and killed it instead put it to sleep a while and relocate it.I wont call them DEEP ever.

FWIW are very own Kristopher Rowe is involved in the platform rebuild among some other folks from one of CT Audubon Society.

Most reactions

Back