1. (you can dismiss this notice by clicking the X in the upper right hand corner)

As part of our new initiative on TPF you can come and take part in a series of new in-depth articles and discussions every month. Featured this month are the methods that one of our top avian photographers, Kristofer Rowe uses to get his stunning photos (as also featured on Tamron USA website as well!). So drop in and take part, I know that Kristofer will be happy to answer your questions and hear what you do out in the field with your camera!

Capturing Distinctive Bird Images

Will be renting a lense for a wedding shoot - which lense?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Leftyplayer, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Leftyplayer

Leftyplayer TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Which one lense would you want to make sure to have when photographing a wedding? By the way, it's a mock wedding with photographers and models, so it's not the end of the world. It's for practice and portfolio building. Only time I shot a real wedding was when I was 17 and my cousin decided it was okay to let a hobbyist little kid take her wedding photos, yikes!!:confused: (being young enough at the time I was like, "sweet!" and went ahead and took a bunch of crappy pictures :lol:)

The one lense I'm thinking about is the 24-70mm f2.8. Any other suggestions?

2. ElanImages

ElanImages TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hi Leftplayer,

The 24-70 is the one I'd have suggested. It sits on one of my bodies at every wedding, with either a 70-200mm or a 50mm f1.4 on the other body.

Good luck!

3. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

If you're shooting with a crop-sensor then the 24-70 would be my choice; if you're using a FF body, than I'd lean more toward the 70-200.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Leftyplayer

Leftyplayer TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    24-70 it is! (yes, I have a crop sensor). I already have a 70-200, so that part is covered.

5. Robin Usagani

Robin Usagani Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    35mm.

If it is a mock wedding, you wont have to document the dancing where you need wider angle. 35mm is plenty wide and it is a money lens!

6. analog.universe

analog.universe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Speaking of 35mm.... If you're comfortable manual focusing, the new Zeiss 35mm 1.4 looks to be an amazing lens, and I have seen them available for rent. I was originally thinking of upgrading my 28 to the canon 35, but I think I may go Zeiss now, my Zeiss 50 never disappoints!

7. Robin Usagani

Photos OK to edit
    You are brave. Zeiss 35 and 50 are popular in video community. No way I would want to use it for photography. I like my AF :).

8. analog.universe

Photos OK to edit
    I certainly like AF too! But not always as much I like my micro-contrast, and mysterious out of focus field curvature.. : )

It can't get every shot, but the ones it does, my goodness!

9. Robin Usagani

Photos OK to edit
    with my crappy low light AF, I turned the live view on, manually focus it until i think it looks good on LCD, took pictures. I went home and processed it, they were all blurry. I suck at MF lol.

10. analog.universe

Photos OK to edit
    The trick is in a spiffy aftermarket focusing screen. I use this one: Focusing Screen

11. EPPhoto

EPPhoto TPF Noob!

The trifecta for weddings is what I recommend. Nikkor 12-24, 24-70, and 70-200. Throw in a 35 or 50 1.4 an you're golden!