Will Graflex lensboard mount onto a Graphic View II camera?

cestlefun17

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is my first foray into large format photography. I have a Graphic View II camera with no lens or lensboard and recently purchased a lens mounted on a Graflex board. Will this fit my camera? If not, how difficult would it be to remove the lens and put it on another lensboard?

Also, this may seem like a stupid question: But I absolutely cannot figure out how to load the film. I can remove the ground glass to change its position from landscape to portrait. Do I remove the ground glass and place the film holder in front of it? I imagined that there would be a slot to insert the film holder but I don't see it.

The lens can be removed by simply unscrewing the retainer nut

The film holder should slip in front of the spring mounded ground glass

No, you insert the film holder IN FRONT OF the groundglass, and the groundglass shifts position, and since its is spring-loaded, as you shove the film holder in the gap on the right hand side widens and widens and widens, and then once the film holder is inserted all the way, it suddenly springs closed all the way and lays flat, holding the film holder in position.

No, you insert the film holder IN FRONT OF the groundglass, and the groundglass shifts position, and since its is spring-loaded, as you shove the film holder in the gap on the right hand side widens and widens and widens, and then once the film holder is inserted all the way, it suddenly springs closed all the way and lays flat, holding the film holder in position.
Derrel, are you typing and drinking again? I said the film holder goes IN FRONT OF the ground glass

Derrel, are you typing and drinking again? I said the film holder goes IN FRONT OF the ground glass

yes, but Derrel said it sexier.

Well, it's such a simple operation, I thought maybe he needed to read a description of how the operation "goes down" in real life. I tried to find a video to literally show him. I mean, he was asking if the GG needed to be removed....so...obviously the OP was not cottoning to how the Graflok back works...

True. I really need to sex up my directions I guess

Well, it's such a simple operation, I thought maybe he needed to read a description of how the operation "goes down" in real life. I tried to find a video to literally show him. I mean, he was asking if the GG needed to be removed....so...obviously the OP was not cottoning to how the Graflok back works...

Got it. Yeah, the only time I ran into removing the ground glass on a Graflok was to insert a roll film holder...what a pain in the...

Thanks, I was imagining loading the film vertically from the top. I will look for that gap on the right.

As to the lensboard: will the one it's already on fit? It's coming in the mail, so I suppose I could test it once it arrives but I'd rather know as soon as possible.

Different lenses use different size holes. There is no way to know. If the hole in the board is too small, you can carefully enlarge it.

As to the lensboard: will the one it's already on fit? It's coming in the mail, so I suppose I could test it once it arrives but I'd rather know as soon as possible.

Different Graflex cameras used different boards. Your Graphic View is a Graflex but all Graflex boards are not interchangeable. So, you'll just have to see when the board arrives.

If the board in question is from a press camera such as a Speed or Crown Graphic then I don't believe it will fit the Graphic View camera.

Even the Graphic press camera boards have changed throughout the years and sizes change by format, which complicates even more. On top of this, the view is a completely different animal.

Thanks. If it doesn't fit and I purchase a lens board that does, how difficult will it be to remove the lens from the lens board myself and mount it onto the lens board that fits the camera? Is this something I can do myself or is it a precise operation that needs to be done by an expert?

Sure you can do that yourself. It's only held on by a threaded retaining nut. These are often even kurled so you can simply unscrew it.

Thanks. If it doesn't fit and I purchase a lens board that does, how difficult will it be to remove the lens from the lens board myself and mount it onto the lens board that fits the camera? Is this something I can do myself or is it a precise operation that needs to be done by an expert?

The lens is held to the board by a threaded ring that screws onto the back of the lens. Sometimes these are screwed on very tightly but it's essentially the same as removing any threaded fastener, like a nut or lens filter. Sometimes there are also screws holding the ring to the board which need to be removed first.

Most reactions

Back