Will- Model Studio Portrait

DanOstergren

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know most won't like the shadows, but it's an element to these photos that I really enjoy.
Also, a random fact: those shirts are both made from corn.

I've got a slightly sepia toned one and a color one to share.

EOS 5D MKII
50mm @ f/13
1/125th sec
ISO 250

untitled_by_danostergren-d84fh89.jpg

img_9840_1aftermerge_by_danostergren-d84fh84.jpg

Last edited:
I love the first one. he has such an interesting face.

don't like the second. not at all. ... and don't worry, it's not you it's me. I don't like feet :) so sorry, not objective there because they're the only thing my brain is focused on

I love the first one. he has such an interesting face.

don't like the second. not at all. ... and don't worry, it's not you it's me. I don't like feet :) so sorry, not objective there because they're the only thing my brain is focused on
Oh my gosh, don't get me started on his feet. Don't get me wrong, I love the model, but his feet were gross. I did what I could to make them not so gross looking, but I don't think I have the skill to make those feet look good, and the light falloff didn't help either. Next time I'll even pay for him to get a mani/pedi before we shoot.

Oh my gosh, don't get me started on his feet. Don't get me wrong, I love the model, but his feet were gross. I did what I could to make them not so gross looking, but I don't think I have the skill to make those feet look good, and the light falloff didn't help either. Next time I'll even pay for him to get a mani/pedi before we shoot.
14NotWorthy.gif
to you

I couldn't even shoot him, or let alone edit the picture!

love his face, it's just a shame... can't really understand...

14NotWorthy.gif
to you

I couldn't even shoot him, or let alone edit the picture!

love his face, it's just a shame... can't really understand...
Lmao, I totally get it!

I don't mind the shadows at all! In fact, the faint catch-light in his right eye peaking out from the shadow is very engaging!

I actually thought the dirty feet was part of the concept...

All perfectly crafted and groomed up top, but with grubby feet. I thought it was quite good. Shows what I know then!

I actually thought the dirty feet was part of the concept...

All perfectly crafted and groomed up top, but with grubby feet. I thought it was quite good. Shows what I know then!
Well, considering there really was no concept, feel free to use your imagination!

Yeah, the feet were kind of shocking...so "together" from the ankles up though! :)

As I've said before, love your work. Love the shadows with the right eye lit the way you have it.

Amazing work!

I will never understand this place's obsession with zero shadows on the face. Facial shadows really make a portrait pop.

Feet...shmeet... I'm still trying to wrap my head around Dan shooting someone without a beard!!!!! I like the shadows on the face, but I think in #1 it could be a little lighter.

I like the shadows on the face, but I think in #1 it could be a little lighter.

See what I mean!
:confused-55: What 'chou' talkin' 'bout Willis? I LIKE the shadow, but I would like it even better if it wa lightented up just enough so that the upper part of his eye wasn't lost. Maybe what... 1/3 stop?

I quite like #1. #2 I can't even just because of the feet, seriously. But we've already addressed that so I'll move on.. I quite like the first, shadow and all. The shadow is REALLY dangerously close to being too dark IMO but it doesn't cross that line. The features are still there, nothing is lost. I love that you can really see the texture of said corn shirts. How cool is that? And razor sharp, both!

I know most won't like the shadows, but it's an element to these photos that I really enjoy.
Shadows are our friends. Without them, the perception (IMO) is little thought has gone into lighting the subject properly.

I think the Rembrandt triangle is a bit weak in the first and a bit too strong in the second. Regardless, both are well done.

Thanks for sharing.

Most reactions

Back