Will my kit be complete?

At least for a beginner?

My camera will be in by Thursday (hopefully, we'll see what happens when Adorama runs my credit card tomorrow, all should be okay now!) and I have another cart full of stuff ready to order from Adorama... So here is what I will have to start with:

Canon XSi Body - Refurbished
Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS w/ 58mm UV Filter
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II w/ 52mm UV Filter, Lens Cap Leash, & Lens Cleaning Kit
(2) 4GB SDHC Memory Cards
Canon BG-E5 Battery Grip
(2) Canon Battery Pack LP-E5 - 1080 mAh
(2) Replacement Battery Charger for LP-E5 Batteries
Adorama Wireless Radio Remote Release
Canon 2400 Camera Gadget Bag

And I need to know where I can get an inexpensive but good/sturdy tripod - I only saw one that was "affordable" on Adorama and I wasn't sure if it was a good one or not - only had a 3.5 star rating...
Hit up radio shack A 66 inch targus is 24.99 right now and it will be plenty to hold up the xsi.

I shoot in raw and fine jpeg at the same time with my d5000 so my battery doesnt last long with my long exposures. I need to invest in battery grip for it for this reason. I think the battery grip would be a good investment, but then again...i dont know how canon is on battery life.

Okay, so here is where I am now :)

:) Canon XSi Body - Refurbished
:) Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS w/ 58mm UV Filter, Lens Hood & Neoprene Lens Cap to fit over hood
:) Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II w/ 52mm UV Filter, Lens Cap Leash, Neoprene Lens Cap to fit over hood & Lens Cleaning Kit
:) (2) 4GB SDHC Memory Cards
:) (2) Canon Battery Pack LP-E5 - 1080 mAh
:) Adorama Wireless Radio Remote Release
:) Canon 2400 Camera Gadget Bag

That's it so far... Now I'm just looking for a tripod :)

At least for a beginner?

My camera will be in by Thursday (hopefully, we'll see what happens when Adorama runs my credit card tomorrow, all should be okay now!) and I have another cart full of stuff ready to order from Adorama... So here is what I will have to start with:

Canon XSi Body - Refurbished
Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS w/ 58mm UV Filter
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II w/ 52mm UV Filter, Lens Cap Leash, & Lens Cleaning Kit
(2) 4GB SDHC Memory Cards
Canon BG-E5 Battery Grip
(2) Canon Battery Pack LP-E5 - 1080 mAh
(2) Replacement Battery Charger for LP-E5 Batteries
Adorama Wireless Radio Remote Release
Canon 2400 Camera Gadget Bag

And I need to know where I can get an inexpensive but good/sturdy tripod - I only saw one that was "affordable" on Adorama and I wasn't sure if it was a good one or not - only had a 3.5 star rating...
Hit up radio shack A 66 inch targus is 24.99 right now and it will be plenty to hold up the xsi.

I DESPISE Radio Shack. I don't buy anything there. EVER. At all.

You also should probably get a multi-coated polarizing filter and graduated neutral density filter. I would consider these a necessity even for a starter kit. Also, I had that zoom lens and wasn't very happy with it, but I really liked the 70-300mm USM lens, it was definitely worth the extra money.

what do the polarizing and grad nd filters do?

Okay, so here is where I am now :)

:) Canon XSi Body - Refurbished
:) Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS w/ 58mm UV Filter, Lens Hood & Neoprene Lens Cap to fit over hood
:) Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II w/ 52mm UV Filter, Lens Cap Leash, Neoprene Lens Cap to fit over hood & Lens Cleaning Kit
:) (2) 4GB SDHC Memory Cards
:) (2) Canon Battery Pack LP-E5 - 1080 mAh
:) Adorama Wireless Radio Remote Release
:) Canon 2400 Camera Gadget Bag

That's it so far... Now I'm just looking for a tripod :)

I'm not quite sure why you're getting filters with the lenses. Are they 80 dollar minimum filters or cheap ones? Chances are they will just take away from the quality of your lens and you don't need them at all. Unless you plan on running through sharp bushes and other objects a UV filter is not necessary. And what's this neoprene stuff? I think some of the items on here aren't really needed. The lenses come with a lens cap to protect and if you buy a good filter why use a lens cap? The hood also protects the glass.
TJ

This page explains the polarizing filter fairly well...

How To Use A Polarizing Filter

I agree that its very nice to have even for a starter kit. Graduated neutral density filter as important. Both are good to have if you plan to do some landscapes.

I personally would pass on the Canon branded bag. I just don't like anything that advertises.

I'm not quite sure why you're getting filters with the lenses. Are they 80 dollar minimum filters or cheap ones? Chances are they will just take away from the quality of your lens and you don't need them at all. Unless you plan on running through sharp bushes and other objects a UV filter is not necessary. And what's this neoprene stuff? I think some of the items on here aren't really needed. The lenses come with a lens cap to protect and if you buy a good filter why use a lens cap? The hood also protects the glass.

the neoprene things basically act like the lens cap with the lens hood on.. Some of the reviews I read said that the hoods couldn't be turned around and stored on the lens... I was told to get UV filters because they will help to protect the lens... Also because they will help to keep sunny-with-some-clouds skies from being blown out... ANd I think the ones I have on there are cheap ones...They are like $10 a piece... The 50mm lens COMES with the uv filter so I figured why not just get one for the 18-55 too?

decado - is a polarizing filter supposed to be around $100-200? Or am I looking at the wrong thing?

the neoprene things basically act like the lens cap with the lens hood on.. Some of the reviews I read said that the hoods couldn't be turned around and stored on the lens... I was told to get UV filters because they will help to protect the lens... Also because they will help to keep sunny-with-some-clouds skies from being blown out... ANd I think the ones I have on there are cheap ones...They are like $10 a piece... The 50mm lens COMES with the uv filter so I figured why not just get one for the 18-55 too?

I know what the neoprene covers do i'm just saying the lens cap that comes with the lens will clip right on it with a hood without a hood it doesn't matter and it's free with the lens. UV filters do nothing to help with digital cameras yes they were useful for film for digital you don't need them. The 10 dollar one is just going to degrade the image quality of the lens but if that's what you like go for it. I would get a good one or have no filter on the glass at all. You're going to be a lot more prone to flares as well. The 18-55 already as a not so great kit lens doesn't need anymore image quality taken away because of a bad filter.

A good polarizing filter will be around that price, make sure it's multi coated. What the polarizing filter does is it minimizes reflections on things like water and foliage, I had a very hard time getting good pictures without it on sunny days. The graduated neutral density filter will darken the sky but not the lower part of the picture, bringing the sky to an exposure level closer to the rest of the picture.

Oh and about the tripod why are you searching canon tripod? A tripod works with any camera. They all use the same size mount. Go to adorama and look at manfrotto tripods. They make great tripods are good price. The 190xprob and 055xprob are awesome. They are a couple hundred not thousands.

okay - I will see what I have left after my car work is done, if I have enough, then I will do the polarizing filter... Will probably hold off on the grad nd...

I took off the neoprene covers, and changed the bag to an ape case one from adorama (I am trying to stick with them since I have heard a lot of good stuff about them and since that is where I know the site) ;) ... I took the UV filters off...

Here is what's in my cart now... I copy/pasted because I leave work in a half hour and have a LOT to do! I've been shopping for camera stuff all day!!! lol

Adorama Wireless Radio Remote Release for Canon EOS Rebel XT/XTI/XSi/T1i, Pentax K10D/K100D, Contax 645 and Hasselblad H Series Cameras (2.5 Mini Plug)

Kodak 4GB SDHC High-Capacity Video Memory Card

Canon Battery Pack LP-E5 for EOS Rebel XSi Digital Camera - 1080 mAh

Adorama Dedicated Lens Hood for Canon EF 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6, II, III, IV, V, 28-90mm, & EF-S 18-55mm Lenses (EW-60C)

Adorama Dedicated Lens Hood for Canon with Hood Adapter for EF 50mm f/1.8 II Lens (ES-62)

Ape Case Pro Digital Medium SLR System Case

Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Standard AutoFocus Lens - USA

Adorama Video & Digital Lens Cleaning Kit

Most reactions

New Topics

Back