will spinning the focus wheel damage my camera?

lawrencek328

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi may be a stupid question, on my canon t5i w/ 18-55mm stm kit lens, when my lens is switched to MF mod, I half press the shutter button and spin the focus wheel until the focus points beep and blink red. will this dmg the cameras focus motor? I read online that spinning the focus wheel while the camera is focusing could damage it.

If the lens is in manual focus mode, how else are you supposed to focus it?

I guess I don't understand what you are asking?

by spinning the focus wheel without half pressing shutter, is it ok to half press the shutter while spinning the wheel?

IF the lens is in manual focus then turning the focusing wheel at any point won't cause any damage as the camera is never engaging the motors. Even when half pressing the shutter button the camera is not engaging the motors (The bleep an red light are from the sensors inside the camera).

If the lens has all the time manual focusing you can even turn the focusing wheel when the lens is in AF (auto focus) mode. However doing so whilst half depressing the shutter button (ergo engaging the AF motors) will cause problems as you're then fighting the motors.

I'm not sure if stm lenses have fulltime manual focusing or not check the lens manual

Most reactions

New Topics

Back