Will the 30D price lower much when 40D comes out?

keith204

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Apparently the 40D release will be soon. From rumors at least, the most 'reliable' are saying sometime this September. I was planning on upgrading to the 30D this month, and as I was looking around, I started hearing about the 40D.

When the 40D model comes out, will the 30D price drop? I mean, I know nobody knows.... but when the 30D came out, did the 20D price drop? I imagine there will be quite a price difference between the two, so i'll probably get the 30D, but maybe I can save a hundred or two by waiting...

any ideas?

I suppose it would, but not right away. Really depends on the specs. Is it really a new camera or just an "update" from the previous version like the 20D to 30D? Will it totally surpass the 30D in performance that people will flock to the new model? Price would inevitabiy drop, but don't hold your breathe. It will be a steady drop spanned over several months. You can still pick up a 20D for $650 or less nowadays.

Word around the net has it that it is a "new" model. Or a very substantial upgrade. New sensor (10 meg), additional focus points, cleaning mode, + other "stuff" :)

As mentioned, the 30D will come down, but over the course of the year. If you look around, you can pick up a really nice used 30D right now for about $800. Yet, the 20D still brings in between $600-$700.

Depending on your urgency, I would probably hold out a little longer. Your current camera is very capable and you may be able to save a few bucks in another 6 months or so.

I've been hearing whispers of rumors...but it would certainly fall into Canon's pattern for them to release a new XXD model this fall.

I would agree with Woodsac, the 30D wasn't actually much of an upgrade from the 20D, so the next model will probably be more significant. The XTi is, in some ways, a more advanced (some would say better) camera than the 30D.

What should you do...well that's a question for the ages. :lol: The price of the 30D will probably drop a little, but there will also be plenty of people waiting for that price drop, so I don't think that the demand won't drop off as much as we might expect. Very large stores like B&H may have plenty of stock but also plenty of room. They might lower the price a bit...but they won't be in a hurry to liquidate that stock. You might have better luck with a smaller camera store that needs to make room for the new model coming in. On the other hand, B&H probably has a lower price than the small shop anyway, so who knows.

The new model may be so good that you don't want to get the 30D at all. As you already have the XT, I'd suggest that you take the 'wait and see' approach. You may even be able to get a really good deal on a used 30D, from people who are dumping it to get the new model.

I was actually just pondering upgrading from my XT to a 20 or 30D depending on several factors.

But anyways, XT vs 20D vs 30D vs do not upgrade... what do you guys/gals have to say about that dilemma?

In my opinion, the 20D is probably one of the best bargains around. It's was a fantastic camera in it's day (a fair bit better than the 10D and digital Rebel)...and the current model, the 30D, is only slightly better. That being said, if I had the choice between the 30D and the 20D today, I'd pay more to get the 30D...mostly for the bigger screen (and spot metering).

The XT is a good camera on it's own, you probably won't get much for significant improvement in the quality of the images, going to the 20D or 30D...but what you do get is a better quality body. If the feel of the body is that much better, to you, then it might be a worthwhile upgrade.

In my opinion, the 20D is probably one of the best bargains around. It's was a fantastic camera in it's day (a fair bit better than the 10D and digital Rebel)...and the current model, the 30D, is only slightly better. That being said, if I had the choice between the 30D and the 20D today, I'd pay more to get the 30D...mostly for the bigger screen (and spot metering).

The XT is a good camera on it's own, you probably won't get much for significant improvement in the quality of the images, going to the 20D or 30D...but what you do get is a better quality body. If the feel of the body is that much better, to you, then it might be a worthwhile upgrade.

Yeah I definitely know what you are saying. I handled the 30D briefly at circuit city the last time I was there and I really liked the larger body compared to the XT.

Spot metering, more AF points, and the bigger screen are the biggest attractions to getting a 30D as far as I am concerned. 5fps would be pretty nice as well although I can't say I would use it that much.

It's all preference.

For me...
XT - 20D = No
XT - 30D = Yes
XT - XTi = No

There are several reasons. The 20D just isn't a significant upgrade. The 30D added spot metering, additional fps, larger LCD, picture styles, wider parameters, RGB Histogram, 100,000 shutter cycles, and a couple other more insignificant items.

Now the XTi has many of the same qualities as the 30D, plus sensor cleaning mode, and 10 megs. Here's a quote from dpreview comparing the megs of the XTi and XT:
There's really no advantage in moving from eight to ten megapixels, the additional 432 horizontal pixels and 288 vertical pixels produce no more detail that can be seen. Indeed if anything the eight megapixel (EOS 350D) image looks slightly sharper 'per pixel' than the ten megapixel image from the EOS 400D.

I can't be sure without looking up the specs, but I'm pretty sure that the 30D still has a (barely) larger sensor than the XTi (by like 1 or 2 mm)? I also remember reading an article where a Canon rep said they didn't expect the new XTi to interfere with the sales of the 30D. The XTi is still considered Canon's entry level dslr, and is not built as rugged as the 30D.

5fps would be pretty nice as well although I can't say I would use it that much.
I thought the same thing.
But...that means the world to me when I'm auto bracketing for my HDR's :) Almost all of my HDR's are handheld with the 30D.

additional fps
I don't think the 30D shoots at a higher fps (than the 20D)...they are both 5, are they not? But the 30D does have a larger buffer, to be able to shoot longer at that 5 fps. Maybe a significant upgrade, but only for a select few people who would use it.

It's all preference.

For me...
XT - 20D = No
XT - 30D = Yes
XT - XTi = No

There are several reasons. The 20D just isn't a significant upgrade. The 30D added spot metering, additional fps, larger LCD, picture styles, wider parameters, RGB Histogram, 100,000 shutter cycles, and a couple other more insignificant items.

Now the XTi has many of the same qualities as the 30D, plus sensor cleaning mode, and 10 megs. Here's a quote from dpreview comparing the megs of the XTi and XT:

I can't be sure without looking up the specs, but I'm pretty sure that the 30D still has a (barely) larger sensor than the XTi (by like 1 or 2 mm)? I also remember reading an article where a Canon rep said they didn't expect the new XTi to interfere with the sales of the 30D. The XTi is still considered Canon's entry level dslr, and is not built as rugged as the 30D.

The XTi sensor is 22.2x14.8mm whereas the 30D is 22.5x15.0mm.

I don't really care about the megapixels. My parents 300D is only 6 I believe and that would be perfectly fine for what I do.

It looks to me that the XTi has a lot of the same specs as the 30D despite the less rugged body.

Mike, you're right. They both shoot at 5fps, the 30D just has a larger buffer. Bad choice of wording on my part.

Yes, Will, the XTi got a lot of the 30D qualities.

It looks to me that the XTi has a lot of the same specs as the 30D despite the less rugged body.
Personally, I think Canon pushed out the XTi earlier than they would have liked. They had just come out with the 30D, which was basically a 20D with a few small upgrades. Then Sony came out with the Alpha and Pentax may have showed up with their K100D around that time. I think that Nikon may have put something out (either the D80 or the D50) around that time as well. All of a sudden, Canon's XT was looking at some stiff competition and the 30D was $600 (or whatever) more expensive. The XTi put them back into place in the entry level DSLR market but that camera sort of stepped on the toes of the 30D, which was too new to replace right away and not really advanced enough to be that much better than the entry level models.

That's my take anyway. And that's why I expect the 40D (or whatever) to be a significant upgrade.

Sounds like a solid theory Mike.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back