Will the AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED fit the upcoming d5200?

jderosa3

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am holding out to get a d5200 in Q1 of 2013 (hopefully it makes it to the US soon). There is something I really like about this camera. I have a AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED lens... will this work with this camera? Teh specs of the camera are here:

Nikon | Imaging Products | Nikon D5200

Yes, it will work. All of the AF-S lenses will work on your non-IFM (internal focus motor,) body. The AF lenses will work too, but won't be able to use auto-focus, as your camera does not have an IFM.

Thank you so much for the reply. So let me get this straight. The d5200 will accept both AF-S and AF lenses. The AF-S lenses will auto focus on a non-IFM camera body like the d5200, however the AF lenses will not.

In the end the AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED lens will fit, work and have all the intended features on the d5200? Thanks again for your help! Much appreciated.

Thank you so much for the reply. So let me get this straight. The d5200 will accept both AF-S and AF lenses. The AF-S lenses will auto focus on a non-IFM camera body like the d5200, however the AF lenses will not.

In the end the AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED lens will fit, work and have all the intended features on the d5200? Thanks again for your help! Much appreciated.

YES, all of the above is correct; the 105 VR Micro~Nikkor lens will be FULLY, 100% compatible with the D5200.

AF and AF-D lenses will not autofocus on a D5200. But they will meter, and they will shoot pictures! It's just that focusing will have to be done manually, by hand.

Just remember this easy way: F mount lenses fit all F mount bodies. Like Derrel said, you don't get all the functions, but most.

AF and AF-D lenses will not autofocus on a D5200. But they will meter, and they will shoot pictures! It's just that focusing will have to be done manually, by hand.
Note that a Nikon lens like the AF 50 mm f/1.8D sends Distance information to the camera's AF module.

Consequently, the camera's AF module will light the In Focus indicator light in the viewfinder when the lens focus ring is manually adjusted and focus has been achieved.

In other words, the camera will still help you focus, because the only part of the Auto Focus system that is missing is a motor to turn the focusing ring on the lens.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back