Will

DanOstergren

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A quick snap of my friend Will, taken at a friend's birthday party. Always has his model face on the second the camera comes out lol. All natural light. 5D MKI, Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 set to f/2.2, 1/500th sec, ISO 500.

Funny fact about Will, his father is Bill Wadhams, the vocalist of a one-hit-wonder 80's band you may remember called Animotion.
_mg_3983_by_danostergren-dbaihoq.jpg

its funny: you tell us how you do it, but i still don't know how you do it.

Lol, you just have to pay attention to the lighting and how it sculpts a person's features. It helps to have an understanding of what features are considered "beautiful" though, and I always recommend that people start by familiarizing themselves with the concept behind certain makeup techniques like contouring and highlighting.

A good magician never revels all his secrets :allteeth:

As always, impeccable shot!!!

a few hints here and there never hurts

I like the second shot better, because in the first there's almost a look of despair or sadness. However the second shows a significant change in the shadows on the cheeks. Granted smiling changes the face muscles and causes a rounding on the cheeks. In the first was the model intentionally sucking in slightly to accentuate the shadow, was this enhanced using your dodge and burn technique, or is it a natural hollow?

Animotion is famous for that song on Fashion Television

a few hints here and there never hurts

I like the second shot better, because in the first there's almost a look of despair or sadness. However the second shows a significant change in the shadows on the cheeks. Granted smiling changes the face muscles and causes a rounding on the cheeks. In the first was the model intentionally sucking in slightly to accentuate the shadow, was this enhanced using your dodge and burn technique, or is it a natural hollow?
That's his natural bone structure. I've done 4 shoots with him now over the last 3 years, and it's become a bit more prominent as he get's into his late teens. It also takes the right angle of light to really get that detail to show; this shot shows the structure really nicely, and is from less than a year ago: http://orig07.deviantart.net/bf22/f/2016/270/5/0/will_by_danostergren-daj1um1.jpg
White this one kind of hides it, but is also from 2014: http://orig02.deviantart.net/68be/f/2014/298/8/0/will_by_danostergren-d84102m.jpg

Great set! And you do make the whole thing sound really easy, even though it isn't at all!!!! LOL

Great set! And you do make the whole thing sound really easy, even though it isn't at all!!!! LOL
Haha, thank you. It's all about the lighting. If you get the light right, there's little to no need for editing, and when there's no editing I think it becomes very easy.

Haha, thank you. It's all about the lighting. If you get the light right, there's little to no need for editing, and when there's no editing I think it becomes very easy.

I saw an ad earlier saying that if you were tired of spending hours editing your photos, than they would teach edit faster. The photos they were showing should have taken no time at all to edit. They should be teaching people how to get it right in camera instead of teaching them to edit faster! LOL

I saw an ad earlier saying that if you were tired of spending hours editing your photos, than they would teach edit faster. The photos they were showing should have taken no time at all to edit. They should be teaching people how to get it right in camera instead of teaching them to edit faster! LOL
Agreed. Getting the shot right during the initial exposure is by far the biggest time-saver for editing.

Most reactions

Back