willard hotel

Discussion in 'Critique Forum Archives' started by JonMikal, May 28, 2005.

1. JonMikal

JonMikal TPF Noob!

here's another im unsure of. i process most everything on my laptop and what looks bright/dark to me ends up looking different on other monitors. i boosted the brightness a bit; did i overdo it and what do you think overall?

[​IMG]

2. Chase

Chase I am now benign! Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    It looks a little dark to me actually, which really helps set the tone of the photo. I think I'd like to see a little more detail to the right side of the building though. I also find the building on the right a little distracting, but I don't know if you'd have many options there.

I do like the shot!

3. JonMikal

JonMikal TPF Noob!

if it's worth salvaging, i can easily reshoot. thanks Chase for the suggestion.

4. John E.

John E. TPF Noob!

There is a real nice pool there waiting for a good reflection shot, Judging by the flag, there was a stiff breeze, if you were to reshoot, I would wait for a windless day or evening, although you might have to wait a long time for no wind and clouds. All in all I like the conversion and the framing of the picture. The clouds are a tad blown out.

5. danny

danny TPF Noob!

This is a really great scene. I like it the way it is but there are some darker areas on my monitor, LCD. You might reshoot it and get a better shot or you might never capture that mood again. Since you have the sharp corners of the buildings and the sharp contrast between the buildings and the sky, you might just do some masking in photoshop and lighten the darker areas up. I know this isn't much help, so, I'll shut up now. Good luck with it.
    Danny

6. Chase

Chase I am now benign! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    You know, the more I look at it, I think that building on the right actually adds a nice framing element, so I probably wouldn't change that after all. I'd say just a little more detail in the dark areas and its a winner! (I should probably check my monitor adjustment before I say too much about that! :lol: )

7. terri

terri Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    This is a tough one, with the extreme high and low values. At first glance it does come off a little dark.....but somehow it works, barely. I think you took those white clouds right to the brink of being too blown....but again, somehow it seems okay in this shot.

Keep those flags a-flyin' - it adds a fabulous detail to this image, should you elect to go reshoot. :thumbup: It wouldn't be near as much fun to see just a pole sticking up there.

If I were going to tackle this image I think I'd meter on the shadowed side of the building and take it from there. Just a thought. You have some detail, but it falls off quickly...could be our monitor differences, though. My main problem is all that black in the foreground, and to the right.

Love the shot, love the B&W and the contrast. :thumbup: Definitely worth a revisit! :D

8. JonMikal

JonMikal TPF Noob!

ok. i played with the clouds, right side of building and foreground some. think it's better or reshoot?

[​IMG]

9. danny

danny TPF Noob!

Much better now. You did it!
    Danny

10. terri

terri Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    A dramatic improvement! :thumbup: This is where the image was trying to get, and I think you got it there.

You've pulled more detail from the shadows of the building and lightened up the muddied foreground. The clouds still have a high white value but there is some substance to them now.

An impressive bit of editing. :thumbup:

Now the image has some punch....what I like about it is the retro feeling I get; the building has a 50's look to it and the cars are small enough not to give away the time period too much. A man in a gray flannel suit and fedora could wander in here and not seem out of place. ;)

I can dig it. :mrgreen: Nice work!

11. dalebe

dalebe TPF Noob!

much better exposure on the building and sky, great job!