Willow flycatcher

uplander

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Alder or Willow Flycatcher? I am not sure. This bird if I have identified it correctly is also known as a Traills Flycatcher.
The Willow and Alder Flycatcher are only differentiated by there call which are distintively different. They were for some time both identified as a Traills Flycather untill it was established they were two different species. I have been seeing these birds lately around here and have been having a difficult time not only capturing a good shot but identifing it also. These birds have a propensity for perching in the tops of dead trees which is a habit of the Olive Sided Flycatcher but the markings do not ID it as so.
Willow Flycatcher
outback048juza.jpg

Canon 40D, Canon EF 400 f/2.8
F/5.6 @ 1/640
ISO 100

I don't know what bird it is, but it is cute. I wish you coulod have been lucky enough to catcha little more light on his tail....but that's nature!

Nice clean shot.

I don't know what bird it is, but it is cute. I wish you coulod have been lucky enough to catcha little more light on his tail....but that's nature!

Nice clean shot.
Thanks Carly, this is what I consider an exploretory shot. I had no idea of what kind of a bird it was at the time but I take a bunch of shots and then later I can magnify them by cropping and see what I have. Most times when I do this I just think its a sparrow or some common bird and then am surprised when see what I have.

Now I am on a mission to get a very clean, well defined and detailed shot.

If there was any green i would have no doubt it was an olive sided flycatcher. But the color throughout is grey both light and dark and all the birding guidses lead me to believe either a willow or alder.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back