&^%^ Windows 10 Update Now Color Profile Doesn't Load

Score 1 for Microsoft screwing it's customers...as usual! Since your Windows 10 automatically updated, it is likely the Home version, which may or may not have the 'restore' version. It's always been my custom to wait until I have no other choice before upgrading software or hardware. That's why I'm still on Windows 7.

Hopefully, there's a 'restore' capability in Windows 10. It's very, very useful for situations like yours. I've had to roll back Windows 7 updates multiple times when things stopped working and then figured out the culprit, one patch at a time.

First, completely back up ALL your data...photos, emails, spread sheets, videos, etc on Drive C: to an external device or secondary hard drive. Depending on your computer knowledge level, the risk of accidentally wiping off Drive C: is somewhere between 'quite possible' and "where's my backup?"

Note that I'm working from Windows 7, so the 'names' or 'options' may be different...

The most direct way there is to use the 'start' button and it should be a pop up 'search programs and files'. If so, enter: 'System Restore' (no quotes) and click the magnifying glass. Then click on the program from the list it creates: System Restore. That should bring up the restore screen.

If the search programs and files doesn't bring it up, going back to the start button again, then press 'all programs' which should be the bottom of the popup list. Go down that list to 'Accessories' and click on that. Then 'System Tools' and then 'System Restore'.

On the System Restore screen, it should offer a list of recent dates and times. Choose the most recent (or only one) and follow the directions. It should put EVERYTHING back to what it was as of that date & time. All data files, emails, etc, will be retained.

EXTREME CAUTION is recommended when doing this. There are options there what will completely wipe out your hard drive and make it look like a brand new computer! If your system restore asks for the original Windows 10 CD, DO NOT PROCEED FURTHER! Also, computer manufacturers usually have a system restore feature of their own which will do exactly that. DO NOT USE THE RESTORE FROM YOUR COMPUTER VENDOR! (Dell, Compaq, HP, etc) as that will wipe off 100% of everything you ever did on that computer!

Note: I am not a lawyer, have been a lawyer, nor am I planning on becoming a lawyer. But I do invoke the implied 'hold harmless' clause if you follow my directions and your computer goes south.

Same thing happened to me after latest win update. I just re-calibrated and its been fine. the re-calibration loads just fine after restarts also. Make sure you are using the latest version of the calibration software.

@bratkinson restore not an option at this point as the Creator update took place in two stages, once on shut down then when I booted this morning. so last restore point is prior to this morning which won't help

Can you program in Cobol???

Not sure why I skipped COBOL. Tried to learn C++ but I was embarrassing myself in front of my oldest son (who was the geek of the family).

On another note, making progress the score is now 2 problems resolved (Chrome up and running) and 1 to go (Colormunki). Have a lead on the final resolution, but I need to talk to Xright before I do, as I think they might already have a patch for this MS upgrade. Might be time to just put it up for awhile. I do better with a fresh mind.

Last edited:
Can you program in Cobol???

Not sure why I skipped COBOL. Tried to learn C++ but I was embarrassing myself in front of my oldest son (who was the geek of the family).

On another note, making progress the score is now 2 problems resolved (Chrome up and running) and 1 to go (Colormunki). Have a lead on the final resolution, but I need to talk to Xright before I do, as I think they might already have a patch for this MS upgrade. Might be time to just put it up for awhile. I do better with a fresh mind.
Good luck on the problem(s) Just curious did you ever play Space Wars back in the day? We always tried to save some of our computer time to play Space Wars. A far cry from the computer games of today.

Just curious did you ever play Space Wars back in the day?

We thought "Pong" was cool
One-Player-Pong-Featured.jpg
Then when Space Invaders came out we were in heaven it was so advanced!!!

download.png

I finally outgrew video games when Pac Man came out in 80
download (1).png

Now my youngest grandkids, play video games that I can't even imagine.

Just curious did you ever play Space Wars back in the day?

We thought "Pong" was cool
View attachment 142303
Then when Space Invaders came out we were in heaven it was so advanced!!!

View attachment 142306

I finally outgrew video games when Pac Man came out in 80
View attachment 142307

Now my youngest grandkids, play video games that I can't even imagine.
Nah, I'm talking about this one: Gamasutra - The History of Spacewar!: The Best Waste of Time in the History of the Universe

The predecessor to this, the original Spacewar was played on a mainframe and the screen depiction did not have live movement. You put in your move, the screen updated, the other person put in their move the screen updated. Slow, ridiculously simple but for the times totally fascinating.

Last edited:
The predecessor to this, the original Spacewar was played on a mainframe and the screen depiction did not have live movement. You put in your move, the screen updated, the other person put in their move the screen updated. Slow, ridiculously simple but for the times totally fascinating.

I vaguely remember that one. As I said earlier my first programming entry was done on key punch cards, so this would have really been slow that way. :allteeth:

It was, my first computer experience was also keypunch learning both Fortran and Cobol. You had to pay a lab fee to have mainframe time. We were actually quite lucky when I went to college. The university shared a main frame with Boeing. It was for the times state of the art. Boeing was quite a presence on the campus as they were local and very much integrated into WSU's School of Aeronautic Engineering. Now that Boeing is gone and Spirit has replace it things have changed, but the School of Aeronautics is still a premier school and the School of Computer Sciences is no slouch.

Dungeon & Dragons, Tempest, and Defender where my favorites.

I was really into OS/2 and Rexx as far as OS and programming. I still have a working OS/2 box I fire up occasionally when a long time friend and customer needs help with IBM database. He is running OS/2 Blue Lion which is essential OS/2 5 (Arca OS 5), on more modern equipment. I installed it for him on a new old stock build last month. He is very pleases, everything migrated easy and hasn't had any issues. He still gets to use all his older software and it's lighting fast according to him in comparison to the Pentium Pro box I built for him years ago (still works). He is 74 and likes what he likes. The install wasn't too bad, a little tricky, had to go into regions of the brain that haven't been used in a long, long, time. I actually loaded a few programs from floppy discs, lol, talk about nostalgic.

Oh, he smokes 3 packs of pall malls a day and healthy as a horse. I asked him the secret, he said sex and a shot of wiskey every night. His poor wife... She makes the best home made ice cream.

he said sex and a shot of wiskey every night. His poor wife... She makes the best home made ice cream.

Not sure how long this might increase my lifespan, but heck just two out of the three every day would let me die with a smile on my face.

Win10 is a royal pain. I've used every version of Windows that has been released and this POS is by far the worst. It's about as stable as a bowl of Jello. I've updated to the "Creator's Edition" twice and both times it has eaten itself. I'm back on 1607 now and I intend to stay there forever unless I can figure out an easy way to downgrade this machine to Win 7. Microsoft can keep their so-called "Updates", I don't want them and I won't let them load.

I've been computing since DOS. I too have used every version of windows (3.1, 95, 98, XP, 7, 8, 8.1, and 10). I like win10 the best. You know, win7 had constant updates too... it also couldn't boot up in 5-10 seconds.

if you didn't put 8 or 8.1 as the worst version, you never used it.

Win10 is a royal pain. I've used every version of Windows that has been released and this POS is by far the worst. It's about as stable as a bowl of Jello. I've updated to the "Creator's Edition" twice and both times it has eaten itself. I'm back on 1607 now and I intend to stay there forever unless I can figure out an easy way to downgrade this machine to Win 7. Microsoft can keep their so-called "Updates", I don't want them and I won't let them load.

I've been computing since DOS. I too have used every version of windows (3.1, 95, 98, XP, 7, 8, 8.1, and 10). I like win10 the best. You know, win7 had constant updates too... it also couldn't boot up in 5-10 seconds.

Oh I don't know, Windows ME, nicknamed the Mistake Edition, hass surely go to be in the running for the worst Windows version so far. :allteeth:

Oh I don't know, Windows ME, nicknamed the Mistake Edition, hass surely go to be in the running for the worst Windows version so far. :allteeth:

Nope -- the first (as far as I know) embedded version: CE, aka Wince.

Most reactions

Back