Wine Rack with Mamiya

Discussion in 'Medium Format & Large Format' started by kdthomas, Jun 28, 2016.

1. cgw

cgw No longer a newbie, moving up!

Scanner technology is dead in the water, so much so that I'd not bother now with anything Epson or other surviving makers crank out in. Demand has stalled for scanners, so it's little wonder no one's rolled out any significant upgrades in years. I like film, still shoot lots of 35mm and have resumed shooting 120 B&W. Processing is no problem but pro labs in my area no longer affordably scan film. 24mp+ DSLRs are quick and capable. I'll pop for drum scans when needed. Welcome to 2016.

2. 480sparky

480sparky Chief Free Electron Relocator Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well, I suppose if one wants to believe buying 3' long spaghetti and breaking it into 1' pieces to get it to fit into the pot is somehow better than buying a box of 1' spaghetti,............... it's your dinner not mine.

3. cgw

cgw No longer a newbie, moving up!

Not sure the analogy cuts much--if any--ice. No interest in any film-vs-digital scuffles, either. Adios.

4. 480sparky

480sparky Chief Free Electron Relocator Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    None are so blind as those who refuse to see.

Maybe someday you'll find a darkroom and see the light.

5. unpopular

unpopular Been spending a lot of time on here!

Scanners are dead because of digital photography, not because there is a sudden revival of slide copiers. Sparky is 100% correct. To get the most out of your medium format gear you really do have to either scan them or print them in the dark. Being that super-high end scanners can be found on ebay periodically for practically nothing there's no excuse for slide copiers.

In fact, there is a pre-hasselblad Flextight currently listed for under $500. Drum scanners can routinely be found for less than $1000, and often found less than that even. Minolta Multi Pros can be easily found for under $2000. Epson XL-series can likewise be found for under $1000.

The thing about a 20 year old scanner that cost $30,000 at the time is that it's technology from the peak of it's development. They're still very usable. In fact, I used a Leaf 35 way longer than I should have, because it took an hour to scan, so it took a while before I got caught up :)

These are all very high end scanners that will be able to capture all or nearly all the dynamic range of your negatives and slides, something that your camera simply can't, at least not in a single exposure. These scanners will perform just as well as an enlarger when printed properly (i.e. not on your Best Buy printer at home)

Of course there are a number of newer mid-range flatbeds that are also very, very good and will perform better than your current route. About any 'prosumer' camera built in the last 10 years will be very good, and can be found for peanuts on ebay.

But again, the demise of film scanning has literally nothing to do with quality and everything to do with film being dead.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  6. limr

limr Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I like it all until the end. Film is not dead. :)

• Like Like x 2
  7. terri

terri Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    And let's stay on topic, please. This thread was hijacked before the 10th post! ;)

Lovely shot, kd. Great setup and lighting.

• Like Like x 1
  8. annamaria

annamaria Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Excellent! Really like this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. kdthomas

kdthomas No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit

Thanks! I was really happy when the film came out of the can ... Love that Mamiya

• Like Like x 1