sm4him

In memoriam
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
sm4him.500px.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This weekend, I took a little trip down to North Georgia to see Wings Over North Georgia, featuring the Air Force Thunderbirds. I'd seen the Blue Angels perform---many, many years ago-- but not the Thunderbirds. I'd forgotten what a blast air shows are!

I ended up with a backache and horrible leg cramps on the ride home, and a migraine the next day--all from dehydration, because they didn't let you bring anything in, and then they RAN OUT of bottled water for sale!
It was worth it though.

Air shows are tough--for a lot of reasons, but not the least of these is the fact that it's almost impossible to capture what you're seeing in a way that holds the same excitement for someone viewing only the photo. The spectator is seeing the stunts, the speed, hearing the BOOM of those jets and so it's all so exciting and you click the shutter way too often!

But the viewers of the photo are likely just going, "Yep, that's a plane. And another plane. Oh, and look, three planes."

So, recognizing this, I'll try to not go TOO far overboard with the sharing, but it's still pretty pic heavy.

1. Warm-Up Act; The Geico Skywriters
WONG_1171editweb.jpg

WONG_1203editweb.jpg

3. Doing a "Knife-Edge Pass" where the pilot turns the plane so the wing is perpendicular to the ground, as they make a low pass over the runway.
WONG_1367editweb.jpg

4. FIREBALL! Because, who doesn't love a good fireball? :D
WONG_1421editweb.jpg

5. The fireball turned into smoke rings, which the planes then flew through:
WONG_1427editweb.jpg

6. Cobras doing a passing maneuver
WONG_1599editweb.jpg

7. To begin a salute to the military, skydivers parachuted in, each representing a different branch of the armed forces.
WONG_1703editweb.jpg

8. Finally, the Thunderbirds come flying in!
WONG_1734editweb.jpg

9. Thunderbirds
WONG_1927editweb.jpg

10. Thunderbird, Up Close
WONG_1874editweb.jpg

And finally, my two favorite shots:

11. There was jet-fueled car there that had a race with two of the airplanes. This was the race with the Lucas Oil plane. The car won!! I bet it wouldn't have beat the Thunderbirds, though!
WONG_1630editweb.jpg

12. My favorite Thunderbird shot
WONG_1815editweb.jpg

As always, C&C (not that I'm going back out to try it again tomorrow!), general comments and witty banter are all appreciated!

Nice set. No. 12 is real neat....

finally ;)

love the second and the last one

Great set. Always love seeing the Thunderbirds.

Nice set of pics. What len(s) did you use (especially with #7 and #10)?
After I finally upgraded to a DSLR, I went to a WWII themed airshow in Reading PA....walked away after snapping 400+ pics....well...it was the first time using a dslr.

I like #6...it looks like they are kissing :biggrin-93: #12 is awesome. As many times as I've seen the Blue Angels and Thunderbirds, I've never been able to get such a pic. I guess I'll need to try some more.

Nice. My favorites are 2, 8, 10 & 12.
It's been a while since I've been to an air show. Thanks for sharing yours.

Thanks, all! I appreciate the comments!

Nice set of pics. What len(s) did you use (especially with #7 and #10)?
After I finally upgraded to a DSLR, I went to a WWII themed airshow in Reading PA....walked away after snapping 400+ pics....well...it was the first time using a dslr.

I like #6...it looks like they are kissing :biggrin-93: #12 is awesome. As many times as I've seen the Blue Angels and Thunderbirds, I've never been able to get such a pic. I guess I'll need to try some more.

These were all taken with a Sigma 150-500. Before the event, I really dithered about whether I wanted to take it, or my much lighter but shorter Nikon 70-300.
In the end, I was very glad I'd gone ahead and taken the longer lens.

Although--because we got there pretty early, we were able to set ourselves up right behind the gated entry right in the middle of the runway. That proved to be an awesome spot--there were times we were TOO close for the 500mm range, as evidenced by this uncropped "missed" shot:
WONG_1775editweb.jpg
^This one just about took care of my need to find a restroom. :D

great shots. I really like number 3 but there all quite good.

Most reactions

Back