Winter is just around the bend

John E.

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience shooting with a digital camera's in very cold conditions, around -30 degrees celcuis or colder?

I am worried about condensation and the LCD freezing up, cannot afford to buy a new camera at this point. Really want to get some cold winter shots this year.

Ok - forgive the stupidity but is that like 22 below zero F?

All I can suggest at that temp is to first check with your camera mfg for specs.

I can ask at a digital only forum which I use on your behalf if you wish. What camera and batteries are you using? :)

I would appreaciate that ferny. I am using the cannon a80 powershot with metal rechargeables.

LisM the manufacturers do not say much about cold temperature. I am not sure I would trust what any company has to say. The engineers that develop a product will tell the marketing people one thing, then the marketing people put a spin on it or ignore something completely One engineer told me that writing specifications is an artform. :shock:

I did a quick google using the search term
"cannon a80 powershot operating temperatures" without the quotes
and the first page was for steve digicams review of the a80. I scrolled down to the bottom of the page and inside the specifications I found this.
Operating Temperature 0 - 40 degrees C (32 - 104 degrees F)

I guess the biggest concern would be going from the cold outside then coming back in to a warm building. While in Florida, my Fuji FinePix 3800 would always fog up when I would go from our air-conditioned motel to the heat of the outside. The lens would fog up so much that I couldn't see through it. But I never experienced any problems because of the change in temperatures or the fogging. However, I was only going from about 70F to 95F, going from the frigid winter to a warm house would be more extreme.

I read somewhere, can't remember where, that if you do bring a camera from one temperature extreme to another, just allow the camera to come to room temperature by itself.

Hope this helps.

My uncle took a 10D with him for a hunt in syberia.

He had to build an insulated container for the battery and fill it up with water, so that the battery can give enough power. Camera + lenses didn't seem to give any problems.

When bringing the camera and lenses in, put them in a sealed plastic bag and don't open it until they are at room temperature.

The general thought seems to be to keep the camera cold and it'll be fine. The LCD will probably stop functioning though. The batteries will die quickly to. But if you keep your spares in your pockets where they'll be warm it'll help. And before you bring your camera inside put it in a zip-lock bag. Condensation will happen inside the camera when you bring it inside. The bag cuts down on it.

I've just messaged you a link to where I asked so you can see what they said for yourself. There is also another link which you may like. They're both to a different forum so won't post them in the thread. :)

Most reactions

Back