Winter techniques to keep your hands warm andyour camerasafe

GerryDavid

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Here's a question to all of you that live in climates that can get freezing.

How do you keep you rhands warm when your photographing outside in the Winter? Last spring my hands were in alot of pain after being exposed to the winter wind in a matter of minutes *and here you can get frostbite in less than a minute sometimes*.

I was thinking about taking a right hand skidoo mitten *long on the arm*, and cutting holes into it so I can put the camera in there so the only thing exposed on teh outside is the lense *not sure what I woudl do for flash*, so my hand is inside the mitten and able to push teh button no problem. But another problem would be the lcd screen or viewfinder.

Another concern that I have about the winter is will/can it do damage to my digital camera? :0) The mitten idea would protect it a bit. What are some photographer tricks for gear in the winter?

Thanks in advance.

all i know is things like, you have to be careful how fast your film warms up again after being really cold and that cold weather runs batteries down faster. i guess you don't have to worry about the film thing though.

i admit, i didn't take the time to read over all of this, but here's a link that might help some: http://www.nyip.com/tips/topic_coldtemps01.html

For my, I use the mittens with the removable/bend back fingers part. They way when I have to hit the small buttons on the I just have to bend back one finger on the mitten.

for the camera, the only thing I have noticed with mine is the battery does drain faster, and the lens/fitlers tend to fog up when they first come out of the bag I carry things around in.

Up here it can hit -30C or more, I havent found any gloves that im fully happy with to keep my hands warm, and thats with out any openings in them, hehe. I should write national geographic and see how they do it in the artic and antarctic, hehe.

I wonder how much those bubble boy things cost? Get central heating in them and walla, warmth in the winter. And since the bubble is warm, as your walking along the snow and ice melts under you preventing slippery surfaces. *Smirks*.

Just out of curiosity where exactly are you from Gerry? I'm in Sudbury, Ontario myself. It can reach below -30 C at times. On days like that I don't even bother going out to take pictures.

I will go out when it’s -10 or -20, but I where mitts with tight cotton/polyester gloves underneath. When I need to take a photo I take off my mitts and my gloves allow me plenty of maneuverability.

Depending on the cam you have you might wanna consider a wireless remote, granted it probaly won't control your manual functions, but if you wanna AF and shoot, at least you can still wear gloves.

Look for hunters' cold weather gear.

Put your cameras and lenses in a sealed zip lock bag when you are moving from the warm to the cold and the cold to the warm. Let the gear cool down or warm up in the bag to avoid fogging and condensation.

TwistMyArm said:
Just out of curiosity where exactly are you from Gerry? I'm in Sudbury, Ontario myself. It can reach below -30 C at times. On days like that I don't even bother going out to take pictures.

I will go out when it’s -10 or -20, but I where mitts with tight cotton/polyester gloves underneath. When I need to take a photo I take off my mitts and my gloves allow me plenty of maneuverability.

Im in Ontario, closer to Ottawa than Toronto, and Sudbury is driveable, but I wouldnt want to do it each day on a regular basis, hehe. And ive been there a few times but the last time was back in 92. But I do remember alot of dreary and dead looking surroundings, cuz of the mine. But I think its near Algonquin park, which would be great to go to for a while, get some nice nature shots in, hehe.

I like the idea of the gloves in the gloves, so when the one pair comes off, its not cold air on skin right away, so its some protection.

Most reactions

Back