Wireless Flash Radio Trigger?

Hey there I just bought a couple of handy flashes from Quantaray...the model I think is the Quantaray MS-1....check it out at Ritzcamera.com...They work great and are triggered by any other flash...

They should work on your Nikon gear...but you will loose the TTL flash metering. From what I've heard, these types of things are not perfect, but they do work. For the price, it's hard to go wrong. Have a look at 'Pocket Wizards'...they are the good ones...but they cost an arm and a leg.

I'm not all that familiar with Nikon gear...but another option, would be to get a second Nikon flash that can act as a master (SB800 ?). Or maybe Nikon has a wireless flash transmitter...which would allow you to keep the TTL metering.

Ah crap. No TTL? Then I'd have to learn how to actually use my flash, haha.

Instead of dropping the cash on a SB800, I'd probably just get the 9 ft Nikon cord for doing small off-camera flash stuff, and grab some Alien Bees stuff.

You could just get optical slave triggers. I've got a couple (I found that London Drugs sells them for about $20).

This will allow you to place your hot shoe flash off camera and trigger it with another flash. You don't get TTL, and you even have to disable the preflash if you use a dedicated flash on the camera...but it does work and it's not expensive.

I recommend AB if you want strobes. I've got one and I plan to get more. The only thing I don't like about buying them...is that we get stuck paying a rather large brokerage fee on top of the shipping. I ordered one light, with umbrella and stand etc. The brokerage was an extra $70.

But with the optical slave triggers, that means I need another flash, right?

Yeah, I imagine I'll be getting some AB stuff. It's all I hear about. That brokerage fee is wack though.

But with the optical slave triggers, that means I need another flash, right?
Yes, but you could probably use the on camera flash. Or just look for a cheap hot shoe flash to use. ( I have a handful of cheap hot shot units...I find them at garage sales for less than $5) If you can get one that rotates, you can fire it at the slaved flash, so that it doesn't affect the exposure...or else you could make a deflector with a small bit of white card board etc.

Are you able to watch the World Junior Final? It just started...and I'm stuck at work, listening to it on the Radio.

Ah, i gotcha. Thanks for the help.

As for the World Juniors, I'm at work too - but TSN.ca has a streaming feed of the game. However, it's not working right now. Try it if you can (I don't even know if the game is still on).

Ya TSN...I can't get the feed. It's on the Radio 1260am. Canada was up 4-0 but it's now 4-2 and the third period is about to start.

Crap. I don't have a radio in my office. I'll just do the refresh updates thru TSN.

I'd get an SB-800 and use that personally.

Most reactions

Back