Wireless remote for Canon Xs???

tjones8611

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Can anyone recommend a wireless remote for the Canon Xs? I have heard the after market ones marketed for the Xs will not work, but with so many being advertised, surely some of them work.

The XS does not have a built-in infrared sensor for a wireless remote, so the Canon RC-X remotes won't work. But apparently there are some wireless remotes with a receiver that plugs into the wired remote jack to make it possible. I'll try to find some links.

EDIT: I don't personally own an XS, I'm just doing some Google searching. I came across this link:http://www.flickr.com/groups/1000d/discuss/72157608573788650/

which led me to this:http://www.parkcameras.com/8307/Seculine-Twin-1-R3-TRC-Canon-3-pin.html

and this:http://cgi.ebay.com/Wireless-Shutte...ZCamera_Camcorder_Remotes?hash=item518d3f79a5

If you read through that first link, there are links to other remotes.
I hope that helps....

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks, has anyone used any of these with the Xs? I have been unable to locate any reviews of these devices with the Xs.

Thanks, has anyone used any of these with the Xs? I have been unable to locate any reviews of these devices with the Xs.

So... here's the story
The previous poster is correct that the XS has no built in ability to receive a signal from another device and depress the shutter (or do anything else)

Corded Option:
There is a plug in port on the side you can use and attach a remote- some of these remotes also allow you to hold down the shutter in Tv longer than the pre-set values on the camera would ...i.e. if your doing some crazy night lapse / trick photo thing you can depress the shutter button all night if you wanted to whereas the camera would not allow you to do this with just the modes pre-programmed into it. Some of the plug in corded shutter buttons even have a thing to hold down the shutter button so you don't have to stay awake all night and hold it down with your finger. I have had good luck with using these buttons look at Amazon.com and the reviews there. The cable on mine is about 2 feet long.

As for wireless:
They do make a thing that takes funky hard to find button cell batteries that plug into this same port and have their own remote to trigger them.... the downside here is that the remote has a 2 foot antenna and has to be facing the camera head on (i.e. if you want to get in a group picture and hit to button to take it this will work poorly because it's not a cute remote you can hide behind your back it's a behemoth that you have to hold with direct line of site to the camera. The one's I've played with have a very short range - even pointing them directly at the camera. There is also the issue of lag time and if the temperamental thing even got the signal you wanted it to to snap the picture. I'm hoping they improve these things- amazon seems to still be selling the old junk on the market 10 years ago. virtually every other model of DSLR has the IR settings built in and I have no idea why this one does not, but, suffice to say I don't think there is large or growing market to improve this product.

The easy and cheep solution to this issues when doing a giant picture with the family or a photo you want to shoot with a tripod and don't want to knock the tripod when you hit the shutter is the good 'ol built in timer. The camera has a 2 or 10 second timer. It's old technology but it works well with the family portrait. It does blink an orange- red light every second prior to taking the picture.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back