Wireless Slave Flashes... What am I missing?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by BTilson, Oct 4, 2008.

1. BTilson

BTilson TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Just discovered these things. They're triggered optically by the on camera flash, and they fire. I could see the problem if there were several photographers around, but otherwise, those seem almost too good to be true for the price. I found quite a few for $20-40 each. Seems like you could buy a handful of those and just be set for your off camera lighting needs.

Questions for anyone who has/uses these. How reliable are they? Are they worth the money? Do they work well in already bright conditions, like full sunlight?

Like I said, for the price, these seem almost too good to be true, so what am I missing?

Thanks!!

2. chrisburke

chrisburke TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    they arent bad.. I have one... got it for 10 bucks... they are reliable if there is no other photographers around.. but they also only work at a certain distance... and it has to hit just so.. so if you are working close to your off camera flash, its ok, but if theres any distance, not so great.. its deffinatley a substitute to the pocket wizzards, but they dont compare.. hense the cost..

3. brianpatterson

brianpatterson TPF Noob!

BT-
    I used these extensively in weddings until I assembled a proper CLS system of SB-800's. Still use them with older thyristor flashes but you have to visit each lightstand to set power levels them - not an efficient method, per se. The CLS approach is a worthwhile investment - I use the SU-800 now for controlling two SB-800's.

Other than that, the Wein's are reliable and even fire when out of line-of-sight usually. Never used them outdoors but they should respond to the trigger flash nonetheless.

4. JerryPH

JerryPH No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Depends on what you want. Nikon's CLS is fantastic becuase it takes advantage of iTTL, but is all but useless in ranges over 30-35 feet... 25 feet outside in the sun. The Cactus V2s triggers are good for 30 feet until you mod them, then they are good for over 350 feet... but they obviously cannot take advantage of iTTL... its all manual at that point.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In fast moving situations, CLS rules. If you have the time and want great portraits and shoot beyond 30 feet, the remote triggers are great.

I have both, and love both depending on what the situation is.