wireless strobe setup, wide angle lens

midget patrol

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Alright, so here's the deal; I have been doing a lot of skateboard/bmx/snowboard photography and I am running into the problem that my 28-80 doesn't go wide enough. I've got the 70-300 to get the long-lens shots, but i need to be in closer. I'm talking really close, and be able to capture a whole person on a bike and then some, or a boarder + board and jump/landing, etc.

First of all, I'm really not sure how wide I need to go. So any recommendations there would be fantastic.

There is such a plethora of lenses out there, I can't figure out where to start. I would like to keep it on the inexpensive side, too, because I'm trying to purchase a D200 as well. Aside from the fisheye, a zoom is a necessity. Here are the lenses I've seen that could fit what I need:
The nikon 10.5mm fisheye, the 12-24, and all the nikkors that start around 18mm. (help?)
The Sigma 12-24, 15-30, 17-35, 20-40, 10-20, 17-70, and 18-50s
The Tokina 12-24 and 19-35.
The Tamron 11-18, 17-50, and 17-35.

Long story short, I don't know what I'm going to need!

and for the wireless strobes. I need something small, battery powered, and mobile. Again, for the above scenario. I was thinking about one of the 2, 4, or 16-channel ebay transmitters, like this. For the strobes themselves, I was planning to use one or two of these, depending on what is called for. They're rather affordable. Bean bags/clamps/tripods can be used to mount and point them.

Feedback on the strobe setup, and help with the lenses? Thanks guys (and gals)

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
JEazy, i know you know something about skate photography. Got anything to share? Anybody have any comments about the lenses; good glass/bad glass?

Really, I would go with used flashes, say old SB-24's. Should be able to find them pretty cheap on ebay. Great flash at the time and still good. Has wireless built in.

Optical slaves, right? That means that if I want to avoid using the built-in flash on the D50, i need one for the hot shoe as well?

What kind of wireless transmitter do i need to run the SB-24s? Are they optical slaves? Are they iTTL?

you can run optical slaves or the on camera flash. Or you can get on of the $20 radio ones from ebay, if you don't want any flash on camera, I would go with the radio set-up.

Ok, so i'll do the ebay transmitter. Now, where do i come up with $100 for an sb-24 or 200 for an sb600? :confused:

KevinR said:
Really, I would go with used flashes, say old SB-24's. Should be able to find them pretty cheap on ebay. Great flash at the time and still good. Has wireless built in.

I have never heard of the SB-24 having wireless built in the SB-600 but not the 24. If you have the SB600 it can be used off camera (TTL) with the D-200 in a wireless setup using the pop-up as a master flash you can even power the pop-up way down to get less harsh direct flash from it.

My bad, it's the SB-26 that introduced the wireless. We were using the SB-24s with optical slaves.

KevinR said:
...you can get on of the $20 radio ones from ebay...

Uh... I got one of those. It works fine EXCEPT... the one I have will not sync at speeds faster than 1/50 sec. I suspect you'll be shooting at quicker speeds than that.

Better check it out first.

Pete

Most reactions

Back