Wireless vs Hard Wired Printing

LifeORiley

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I just bought a Canon Pro 100.

Do you guys print wireless? I would think the "purest" would only print USB but.....

Is packet loss a problem?

Sometimes printing wireless it just stops printing half way through.
Wouldn't recommend wireless if you have a option, but is handy when printing from phone or tablet.

As long as the printer is seeing a strong, signal packet loss should not be a problem. The wireless protocol has error detection built-in so any lost or corrupted packets get re-transmitted.
At home we have 2 wireless connected printers and they both work flawlessly. I also have a USB connected printer on my desk but its about 6 month since I last turned it on. The only reason its still there is because I haven't gotten around to tossing it out.

I own the Pro 100 and I print wirelessly. My signal to the network is typically in the 70% range and I have never had any problems with my prints. They are crisp and clear.
The bigger thing you may find to be an issue is learning how to get the colors down correct in the prints. That can be tricky. I use CS6 to print and at first I was getting magenta colored prints and after a little futzing around with the color profiles I'm fairly happy with the colors. Although, I do have the occasional off colored print.

Just the information I'm looking for....thanks fellas....

I use CS6 to print and at first I was getting magenta colored prints and after a little futzing around with the color profiles I'm fairly happy with the colors. Although, I do have the occasional off colored print.

I only paid 100.00 for a new unit with 13X19 paper. I'm a little worried about having to become a "printer expert" rather than a "printer user". I have tepid interest in learning the world of printer inks,dies and machinery.

I've decided to "give it a go" as the British say. But if it becomes too difficult or expensive..............look for a great deal on CL for a Canon Prixma Pro-100. :)

I like the idea or printing but I'm not going down a financial drain to do it. I could see burning through hundreds without care.

Last edited:
I very rarely print wirelessly. As I think it's a tad faster to print wired. Maybe I'm a little crazy? But I'm sitting at my desk anyways, so why not plug it in.

I have printed a few things wirelessly, and one from my phone. So it is a cool feature to have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My photo printer is wired. My office all-in-one is wireless. So far, wireless has worked fine for printing and scanning.

I very rarely print wirelessly. As I think it's a tad faster to print wired. Maybe I'm a little crazy? But I'm sitting at my desk anyways, so why not plug it in.

I have printed a few things wirelessly, and one from my phone. So it is a cool feature to have.

I think if you have the ability to keep the printer plugged in then why not keep it plugged in. Unfortunately for me it isn't conducive for me to do that. The cable is about 2 feet short to direct connect. That said, when I hit print in CS6 the printer goes to work immediately. If it's slow I can't tell.

I think if you have the ability to keep the printer plugged in then why not keep it plugged in. Unfortunately for me it isn't conducive for me to do that. The cable is about 2 feet short to direct connect. That said, when I hit print in CS6 the printer goes to work immediately. If it's slow I can't tell.
Correct, the one the give you is only like 3 feet long. I went and got a new one, I think 12 ft. Much better.

I print wirelessly because the printer is in another room.
If I have issues though the printer already has a USB cable in it so I can walk up to it with my laptop and print away.

If I have issues though the printer already has a USB cable in it so I can walk up to it with my laptop and print away.
I've never understand wireless printing to be honest.

Maybe because I change paper type too much to print from another room.

But I guess if your just printing on a standard size then it could work, but if you wanted to change the paper, then theres no reason to print wirelessly as you have to be next to it anyways.

or multiple printer trays for multiple size paper
you would need a printer capable of supporting multiple paper trays of course.
Or use the "front feed" feature found on alot of printers (normally reserved for envelopes or heavy card stock)

or multiple printer trays for multiple size paper
you would need a printer capable of supporting multiple paper trays of course.
Or use the "front feed" feature found on alot of printers (normally reserved for envelopes or heavy card stock)
Ahhhh, true!!!

I've never understand wireless printing to be honest.

Maybe because I change paper type too much to print from another room.

But I guess if your just printing on a standard size then it could work, but if you wanted to change the paper, then theres no reason to print wirelessly as you have to be next to it anyways.

How can you not understand wireless printing? It's so simple. Here, found this short tutorial for you on how it works:

You can thank me later..

Lol

Most reactions

New Topics

Back