Wish I had not waited

benhasajeep

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
I was going to order a couple new SB-600's before the holidays. But then hesitated as I was thinking of getting a single SB-900 instead. Well I kept putting it off and of course they raised the prices considerably since. Well my wife was complaing of using my SB80dx's. So, since she wanted an easier to use flash with the new cameras, and I wanted some wireless control with the D300's (been using the SB-R200's and liking the wireless). I decided to bite the bullet and ordered 3-SB-600's. If I had ordered before the holidays. I could nearly have ordered 4 for the price I am now paying for 3. :( Starting to collect flashes like camera bodies. :p They should be arriving just after I get back from my current work trip.

Now a question. What is the practical wireless range of the SB-600 / D300's? I know what the manual says. But wondering if maybe those numbers were a little on the safe side?? Still have the flashes comming, but just interested in their useable range.

Last edited:
2 lights are more versatile then one, no matter how you play it.

That's why i'll probably never buy an SB-900, I can get two 600's and still have change left over for the lightstands.

I've found that ambient light levels play a huge role, i've had my SB-600's trigger form my bodies onboard flash from 50 feet away...at night.

also, you've also got to consider how wide your flash can go, etc...

And believe it or not, the SU-800 isn't much better, and sometimes is inferior to the onboard. For example, that one night, my 700 was perfect the whole time, my buddies D3 with the SU on it, couldn't ever trigger my speedlights once. indoors, the flash is bouncing off of everything anyway, they're both equally consistent.

I got an SB800 to be a main flash, but I'm now collecting some cheap versatile flashes like old SB-25s. I picked one up last week for about $65-$70. Cant beat that...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back